Finished my scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

smartechs

Re: Finished my scanner

Post by smartechs »

Dear translucent1,

This is the best design I have ever seen, if you have time could you please post the measurements of all the pieces that you used in this build. Thanks.
DDavid

Post by DDavid »

Awesome professional looking job. I was just looking at the Internet Archives page for
the design process they went through on their scanner and they could have cut their design
time in half with this stuff.
I've seen industrial and lab equipment made with this material and marketed as a final product
that was no more professional than this.
Graingers carries a lot of this material and the prices are higher but might come out cheaper
on small orders for fasteners and such if you pick it up at their location. I know I'd be forever
overlooking some small items I'd need.
Congrats on a great job.
Moonboy242
E-book readers owned: iPad, Netbook
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Moonboy242 »

Amazing work! I think you just took DIY Builds to the professional level. Can you post a parts list? Even though the materials would be more expensive than using wood, this build would be far less costly than a commercial one and definately something I could build at home over a couple of weekends.

Did I mention your build looks amazing? ;)
iPad: Over it. Android FTW.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Yeeeow!! If my scanner looked that good, I'll bet my wife would let me keep it in the house! Beautiful work.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

translucent1 wrote: ...
I'm working on a simple perl-gtk2 application for scanning. It's basically a wrapper around gphoto2 that displays the pages as they're captured, and allows you to re-shoot individual pages. Each time I hit the spacebar it captures and displays the next set of pages.

It's the same idea that unbelift is using: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... oto2#p3469 but with a GUI
Can you share that with us? I have two Canon 550Ds (supported by Gphoto2) and would software that captures and shows preview on screen.

Many thanks!
strider1551
Number of books owned: 0

Post by strider1551 »

This build has been added to the wiki (here). Thank you for the excellent design and contribution, translucent1. If for some reason you don't want it on the wiki, just let us know.
dbb

Post by dbb »

Any chance you have outer dimensions? I like this design, wondering how much room it takes up. Thanks.
sam4205

Post by sam4205 »

Amazing build!!!!..

I know its an old posting, and looked at all the pages, but couldn't find the details surrounding the dimensions and the build list. Doesn't look like translucent1 is still visiting this forum. Does someone has the details of this build. Would love to make one. Or is anyone interested to make one for me obviously for cost+markup :)

Thanks for responding.
Sam
SingularityCo
E-book readers owned: iPad, Touchpad, kindle
Number of books owned: 20

Post by SingularityCo »

Hey there - the wiki is gone but I'd really like to attempt somehting based on this design. Any ideas on where else I might find the details?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I believe most of the information in the wiki came from this thread.

We'll bring it back, but we have to de-hack it first.