Help in the Netherlands?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

eplosilla
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 3000

Help in the Netherlands?

Post by eplosilla »

Hello everyone,

I see that there are a few members in the Netherlands. I was wondering if there are any DIYers who have been successful at building Dan's scanner around and who would be willing to build mine.

Adequate compensation would be discussed indeed.

And, if not, I will then ask you all out there to see what can be done. But that can wait for now.

Thanks in advance,
Esteban
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Help in the Netherlands?

Post by daniel_reetz »

I believe our member "the_traveller" is from the netherlands, though I don't know the state of his project. consider sending him a private message.
Aegis
E-book readers owned: Irex DR1000S, iPad 2 32GB
Number of books owned: 8000

Post by Aegis »

eplosilla wrote:Hello everyone,

I see that there are a few members in the Netherlands. I was wondering if there are any DIYers who have been successful at building Dan's scanner around and who would be willing to build mine.

Adequate compensation would be discussed indeed.

And, if not, I will then ask you all out there to see what can be done. But that can wait for now.

Thanks in advance,
Esteban
Hello Esteban,

I've been following this forum for quite a while and have built a few test-rigs. Since a few weeks i'm able to get to the tools necessary to build a decent "Standard" (cnc, lesercutter, ...). The current design is workable and the notes from other members sure help. Since we Europeans don't have a lot of options for doing all the work (wish they had some of those 'hackerspaces' here) needed in a more conventional manner, i intend to make these kits available for Europeans. Shipping from and to the USA is insane with current materials, so i'll try and provide it at a decent (work/material) price in the EU. I'm still working out the details, but if Daniel will permit it, i'd like to add a small percentage to the price to give something back to the community, since so many people helped refining it. I'll put a notice in this subforum when the time comes. People interested can always send me a PM. I intend to work in batches of 5 at a time to keep the costs down.

Kind regards,
Tim
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500

Post by daniel_reetz »

Tim/Aegis,

A few things - are you cutting this new scanner design?

I'm very interested in your plans and would be grateful to have someone covering Europe (as you say, shipping from the US will be ridiculous, import duties would suck and the transit time would be awful). Please feel free to email me and let me know in more detail what you're up to, I may be able to offer contacts/help, or direct people to you for kits, and when you get it running, I would love to link to your shop on the homepage and otherwise promote your stuff. We can also discuss it publicly if that's more comfortable. I like to discuss things here on the forum.;

My personal plan (which does not have to be your plan) is to re-invest most of the profit from kit sales to buy kits for hackerspaces (and there are quite a few in Europe), but maybe not with the right equipment.

In fact, I'm thinking that one option I will make will be a "buy one, give one" option where the cost of an additional kit is included in the price of a scanner, so that people can buy one and donate one to the hackerspace or library of their choice.
dbmoura
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch, Palm V, iPad2
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by dbmoura »

In Brazil I choose to buy a full board an have it cut in strait lines first. So I did a flat design for cutting two scanners. I'll send it updated later, if you have an interest. Or just to have it here for anyone. I like designing with links to do that and update versions as It is needed.
The dimensions of laminated wood can differ but the drawings are open to anyone to rearrange.
Back later!
"Rio 40ºC cidade maravilha do veneno e do caos."
Aegis
E-book readers owned: Irex DR1000S, iPad 2 32GB
Number of books owned: 8000

Post by Aegis »

daniel_reetz wrote:Tim/Aegis,

A few things - are you cutting this new scanner design?

I'm very interested in your plans and would be grateful to have someone covering Europe (as you say, shipping from the US will be ridiculous, import duties would suck and the transit time would be awful). Please feel free to email me and let me know in more detail what you're up to, I may be able to offer contacts/help, or direct people to you for kits, and when you get it running, I would love to link to your shop on the homepage and otherwise promote your stuff. We can also discuss it publicly if that's more comfortable. I like to discuss things here on the forum.;

My personal plan (which does not have to be your plan) is to re-invest most of the profit from kit sales to buy kits for hackerspaces (and there are quite a few in Europe), but maybe not with the right equipment.

In fact, I'm thinking that one option I will make will be a "buy one, give one" option where the cost of an additional kit is included in the price of a scanner, so that people can buy one and donate one to the hackerspace or library of their choice.
Hi!

I'm sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this. It's been a busy week.

Yes, i am planning to use the hackerspace-design, as it is fairly easy to set up and quite compact when disassembled. As for aesthetics, it may have a few ruff edges, but i think it's beautiful. As for being a commercial design, i can't think of anyone who would protest for the amount of money saved on a "professional" scanner, while with a little more effort, they can have similar results. So when version 1.0 comes out, i plan to cut a few and add the parts for interested European users.

Thank you for the offer to help. I never thought of it as a "shop" before you offered the idea. Not that i protest in any way. I'd love to help you and the community out on the European side. To get it started, i'd like to get a few orders first, so i can make a batch at once and see how i can streamline the fabrication process. The funds these provide, will aid in the first bulk of materials needed for that batch and the next, but also a webstore with some Adwords-promotion. The last part may be a little sleazy, but i want people who search online for bookscanners to know there are more affordable options available. It is very kind to offer a link and promotion on the frontpage. When you get the shop for your continent set up, i will (of course) do the same. If you know people who are interested, but too far away, feel free to redirect them. I will make a decent post when everything is set up to start.

I like the idea of helping others (like hackerspaces) with a piece of the profit. But when you offer a "buy one, give one", few people will choose this option. I was thinking in the line of for every five or six kits sold, one kit goes to a non-profit organization that can make good use of it. Organizations who are interested, can send in an application and we (as a community) can take a look, pick a few out and then have a vote on the forum or raffle it off amongst the chosen organizations. That way some part of every sale will go to a charitable organization, instead of counting on goodwill and few reactions. Just an idea... ;)

At the moment, i'm thinking of which options i want to offer (just the parts/parts+cameras/parts+camera+electronic triggers/etc.). So i'm waiting for your choice of suited cameras. :)

The list of hackerspaces is quite handy. Alas, in Belgium, every major city has one, but most lack the equipment. But i can manage. It would of course be a great idea to give them a chance (and others in Europe) to own one in the form of a donation.

@dbmoura: Thank you for the offer! Since i plan to work in batches, your design could have great potential in streamlining the process. I would love to take a look at your plans :)
the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

eplosilla wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance,
Esteban
Esteban,

Helaas ben ik even afwezig geweest en lees nu pas het forum weer. Nee, ik ben nog niet zover dat ik iets kan bouwen. Ik ben nog steeds op zoek naar een hackerspace waar een cnc router beschikbaar is. Op onerstaande link staan verschillende hackerspaces in Nl, ik heb contact gezocht met die in Rotterdam maar nog geen antwoord gekregen.
http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/List_of_Hacker_Spaces

Zet in je profiel je land en stad om andere Dhz mensen te contacteren. Wanneer het me wel lukt om met een hackers space goede afspraken te maken wil ik namelijk alle Nederlandse en Belgische leden benaderen met een persoonlijk bericht.

Vriendelijke groeten

Traveller

For our international members the following.

I found a hackers space in the Netherlands which has, according to their website, a laser cutting machine.
You have to become a member, because renting a space is not cheap. €25 a month for membership.

I am trying to contact them and will let you know when things start rolling.
jfnomad
E-book readers owned: kidle

Post by jfnomad »

I'm moving to Belgium in August and would like to build or assemble the 1.0 scanner when I get there, but I won't have the contacts or resources to cut it. Please keep us posted, Aegis; I'd be interested if you start producing kits.
eplosilla
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by eplosilla »

Hi Traveller,

Many thanks for your reply. I have updated my profile and will be looking forward for your news.

Best regards,
Esteban (whose Dutch is unfortunately SO basic)