Shankha's 0.9.9 build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ssmdiy
E-book readers owned: none (yet)
Number of books owned: 200

Shankha's 0.9.9 build

Post by ssmdiy »

Guys, I finally built my scanner. Just finished my first book. Works absolutely fabulously. Thanks to Rob for answering a few questions and to everyone for their great ideas on the forum. I got it cut by a friend of mine with a Shopbot (he actually works for Shopbot which is based within a few miles from my house) and spent a few weekends on it. Instructions worked great; just a few glitches that I worked around.

Anyone have a bright idea on how to have movable guides so that the book doesn't move slightly when you turn the pages? Right now I have a ruler clamped on. Also how did people set up the camera and trigger so that they can be moved and readjusted for different books? As you can see I'm using clamps for them as well (there's no problem a clamp or duct tape can't solve).
my scanner small.JPG
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Shankha's 0.9.9 build

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hmm, we could probably add some kind of friction device to the cradle without a loss of functionality - just a little peg or screw that would lightly touch the surface of the bearing area to keep it from rolling. \

Alternately it would be cool to have something that would hold the book still when it is released from the platen, but let the bearings touch when it is lifted. It could be as simple as a thick block of wood or foam glued to the bottom of the cradle, just thick enough so that it touches the tabletop when the cradle is lowered. It would hold the cradle from moving when it is lowered, but the moment it is lifted, the cradle would be free to self-adjust side-to-side again.

Can you please post a different shot of your camera solution? It's tough to see what you've done exactly.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

If you have time, could you also comment briefly on how it was to use Rob's shopbot files to cut the part (if that's what you did?)?
jck57

Post by jck57 »

daniel_reetz wrote:Hmm, we could probably add some kind of friction device to the cradle without a loss of functionality - just a little peg or screw that would lightly touch the surface of the bearing area to keep it from rolling.
Had the same problem with rolling so I made a brake out of 1/4" acrylic.
Attachments
IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1078.JPG (97.03 KiB) Viewed 13335 times
IMG_1077.JPG
IMG_1077.JPG (107.8 KiB) Viewed 13335 times
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

jck57, your building mojo is off the charts, man.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

daniel_reetz wrote:jck57, your building mojo is off the charts, man.
¡Gracias, Jefe!
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Shankha, your build looks great! One thing that will help is if you make sure the machine is level, so that the cradle doesn't try to roll downhill. But other than that, the brake idea is a very good one.

For the camera and trigger, you shouldn't need to readjust them for different books. Just adjust each camera so that in the viewfinder, you get the page centered when the book is centered in the glass. Now, for any size book, as long as it is centered in the glass, you should only have to change the zoom on the camera.

Since the camera is now adjusted, you should just be able to adjust the trigger so that it will hit the button, and then use two screws to fix the trigger base to the camera base. You shouldn't have to touch the trigger again. You'll still have to remove the camera to get at the battery and/or the card, if they are located inconveniently, but when you put it back, the trigger will show you where the button needs to be, and you can fine-tune by the viewfinder method above.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
ssmdiy

Post by ssmdiy »

Thanks Daniel and Rob for replying. Re Rob's suggestions about the camera and trigger. I'll have to give that a try. I was thinking that I'd have to adjust the camera to minimize the non-text area that the camera captures. The zoom on the Canons I'm using either gets too much or too little on the page; hence my readjusting. But maybe I can just let the post-processing software (like Scan Tailor) take care of extraneous junk on the page.

Re the book moving during page turns. The problem isn't the platen rolling but rather the book sliding ever so gently backward if I (by mistake) push it during the page turn. See my picture below. As you see I've got this ruler clamped on to keep the book from sliding. Of course it doesn't work if the clamp is thicker than the pages because then the clamp will hit the glass. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.
IMG_9524.JPG
ssmdiy

Post by ssmdiy »

daniel_reetz wrote:If you have time, could you also comment briefly on how it was to use Rob's shopbot files to cut the part (if that's what you did?)?
Rob's shopbot files were excellent. I knew absolutely nothing about how the machine worked. I just took the files and the plywood to the guy and it all came out perfectly. Only comments I'd make are as follows:
  • I got the best grade plywood from Lowe's but found that when you're screwing into the edges the plywood can split. This happened a couple of times. I solved it by using a clamp to keep some pressure on the wood while I screw in.
  • For all the pieces where bearings go on both sides, the pieces were cut with correctly-sized holes on only one side. I don't know whether the shopbot files specify the other side is also supposed to have a larger hole but it came out with a small hole. I fixed it by chiseling out a bigger hole.
That's pretty much it. I have to say that you guys have made it really simple. If I can do it (and I'm no handyman believe me) then anyone can. My wife is looking at me with new eyes (almost respect even but that may be going too far).
Heelgrasper
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 500

Post by Heelgrasper »

ssmdiy wrote: Re the book moving during page turns. The problem isn't the platen rolling but rather the book sliding ever so gently backward if I (by mistake) push it during the page turn. See my picture below. As you see I've got this ruler clamped on to keep the book from sliding. Of course it doesn't work if the clamp is thicker than the pages because then the clamp will hit the glass. That's the problem I'm trying to solve.
Perhaps something like non slip mat would help you: http://shop.theaa.com/store/other/non-s ... ack-yellow (not sure if that's the right term in english). It have different uses but it's used for keeping doormats from sliding around so perhaps the local carpet store has some. I at some point used it when I had two microwave ovens placed on top on each other where the top one was in danger of hitting the floor every time it was used. A piece of this stuff between them and problem solved.

I've seen it used on a book scanner recently but can't remember where.
---
Jakob Øhlenschlæger
Randers, Denmark

The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there
L. P. Hartley