Using a book scanner for non books (single sheets)?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Xymenah

Using a book scanner for non books (single sheets)?

Post by Xymenah »

I am wondering if any of you have ever tried scanning single sheets and non book papers with your book scanners? I am wondering how well this worked and if there were any significant problems incurred and what those problems were. Thanks.
you1

Re: Using a book scanner for non books (single sheets)?

Post by you1 »

I fail to see how capturing a single sheet is any different than capturing a single page from a book?
Xymenah

Post by Xymenah »

I was mostly concerned about positioning of a single sheet in the V. I was wondering if it would slide down too much or not stay in a good position as easily and if so how would these things be fixed.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

You may want to put a book or a plank of wood underneath the sheet so that it remains flat. The softness of the liner on the cradle might cause the page to distort. Other than that, I don't see any difference.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I've stuffed pieces of paper into books that I've already scanned on a few occasions. It's not really the best use of the scanner, but it works. I have other scanners so I've never really needed to do it.
suryandaru

Post by suryandaru »

I Think the book Scanner for Non Books (single Sheets) is suitable to the map. I have a lot of old map of the village land and I think its rather difficult to use "V" glass platen so I made the single sheet glass platten, 45 cm X 65 Cm. I am using , 3mm Glass , used aluminium can and soldered. but what about elektronik handle and hub, is the same as if we Use the' V" platten/Double camera?
jradi

Post by jradi »

Welcome back Suryandaru! How is your project coming along! I heard a little more about what you're doing and I applaud you, best of luck!
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Hi Suryandaru!

The electronics will be the same -- you just need to disconnect one of the cameras. If you use two cameras, you would have to play for a long long time with Photoshop to get the two images to stitch together properly!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Xymenah

Post by Xymenah »

yeah I dont want to run these pages through a normal flatbed scanner because they are historical documents and the direct light will damage them. The scanner with a camera is safer for them. It sounds like someone has made a flat scanner with a camera for the purpose of flat pages, I would love to see pictures if they are willing to post them. It sounds like I might be making two scanners. A book one and a flat one. I am already invisioning buying a new desk just to put my scanners on once they are built for all of my scanning needs :) Now I just need to start tracking down stuff needed for construction and figuring out what tools I will need and so on. Thanx for all the replies.
you1

Post by you1 »

There is an easier way for stitching images, you can use a program like hugan; where I used it to create a panoramic image; thus you can use a singe camera from. It's been a while since I've don this, but here is what I did with multiple images:
http://www.mind2b.com/component/content ... -tour-free