Total Newbie - Need Help on where to start with book scannin

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

GaryJH
Number of books owned: 100

Total Newbie - Need Help on where to start with book scannin

Post by GaryJH »

I am all new to this. I have a desktop scanner (Snapscan) and I want to use that for the time being. I want to scan some of my documents/ books / written research notes for my postgraduate research. I would like to know what DPI do I set the scanner at and if I use JPG or TIFF. The texts will be showing some ancient greek fonts in them. So 300 or 600 DPI? And again I dont want the final PDF to be enormously huge. I will be using Scantailor to convert the images to the final PDF and I have watched the youtube video on Scantailor a few times so I should be okay with that... well lets hope so...

and also I was hoping that someone has a prepared "How-to" guide for all this so I know what I am doing properly... Many thanks in advance.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Total Newbie - Need Help on where to start with book sca

Post by daniel_reetz »

This is by one of our members and it may be the ultimate resource on the topic as of right now
http://en.flossmanuals.net/e-book-enlig ... ook-pages/
GaryJH
Number of books owned: 100

Re: Total Newbie - Need Help on where to start with book sca

Post by GaryJH »

Thank you Daniel for that webpage link. It was very informative and it has helped me greatly... Many thanks and Cheers.