New Scanning Software - YASW

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

tibob
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 100

New Scanning Software - YASW

Post by tibob »

Hello,

I am very happy to present my new scaning sowftware: YASW, which means "Yet Another Scan Wizard".
I was unhappy wit Scan Tailor and Book Scan Wizard, as I had two basic needs:
- Handle odd and even pages separatly
- Fine tune the Keystoning for each page

The first release, YASW 0.1 is available here: https://github.com/tibob/yasw/downloads
I code and work under Linux, and have currently no Idea how to compile a Qt app for Windows. As I only rely upon Qt, this might not be too difficult.

This release is quite basic but I have allready edited a book with it, an I find it quite usable. Images can be changed through 3 filter:
- rotation (90 / 180 / 270)
- dekeystoning (which also provides fine tuning of rotation)
- cropping

This is still work in progress, but if you need specific features, you are welcome to ask, or even better: to submit a patch ;-)
tibob

Re: New Scanning Software - YASW

Post by tibob »

Hello,

I just release YASW 0.2, with small fixes, few new functionalities, BUT this time I produced a Windows package, so that everyone can test it, not only IT freaks.

You can download it here: https://github.com/tibob/yasw/downloads

I would be very happy to get feedback (bad feedback ist also OK) about YASW.

Cheers,

tibob
sixtysix

Post by sixtysix »

using windows 8- i got the following message after I tried to unzip groove.exe entry point not found
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

That https://github.com/downloads/tibob/yasw/yasw_0.2.tgz file doesn't seem to exist. I cloned the new source using GIT; I'll try to find time to compile it and provide feedback. Thanks for sharing your work.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

I really like the side-by-side left and right thumbnails.

The one thing that makes it unusable for me right now is that the bounding box controls are black, and so is the border around my book. I end up clawing around with my mouse in the dark, trying to find the corner control so I can drag it where I need it. If it was some other color (red, purple, blue, green) it would show up better.

Things that would be nice:
-- when I rotate the page, seeing the thumbnail rotated as well.
-- being able to "arrow down" through the pages quickly, viewing previews.

It looks like it might be a helpful pre-processor to Scan Tailor. Good work.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Okay, I got around the black keystone/content controls by using GIMP to make a white image that was the same size as my photos, adding it temporarily at the beginning of the queue, dragging the controls into the middle of my "real" pages, then deleting it. I still think the application needs to use a different color for these controls. Even after I've set them for one image, if my book moves down later in the scan, I have to hunt around for the lines at the top, and if it moves up I have to hunt around for the lines at the bottom.

I discovered that one of my "nice to have"s is already in the application, I just have to click on a thumbnail to move the focus before I try to "arrow down" through the previews. Thanks for that. I also think it's not really necessary to see the thumbnails rotated, so scratch that from the "nice to have" list.

When I exported to PDF, though, the app exported all the Left images, followed by (most of) the "right" images. It should alternate L/R, obviously. Also, I'm getting a white border on the top and the left of the images; I don't know if that's intentional or not, but I'd like to be able to turn it off.

Overall, I like the application, with a little tweaking I think it may be something I'll use regularly.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Here is a screenshot in Windows. I've only tried it a little. Is there some way to load a whole folder of images into the application in one step?
1.png
1.png (109.11 KiB) Viewed 18173 times
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Yes, when you add a picture, it gives you the standard "browse for it" option. Just go to the directory which contains all the "L" pictures, click on the first one, scroll down, and shift-click on the last one. The only feedback you'll get is your hard drive spinning, but it will load the whole directory in order eventually, and leave you with the last picture selected. Scroll back to the top, and do the same thing for the "R" images.
tibob

Post by tibob »

Okay, this is awkward... I always thought that I get an email notification when someone answered the thread, so I did not bother visit it again and thought no one has interest to YASW... Sory for not responding and thank you for testing YASW.

So, with a few month delay: I'm back working on YASW, I will try to implement your requests.

As github ist not easy to share relesed files, I moved to sourceforge, check the new version at https://sourceforge.net/projects/yascanw/
New features n version 0.3:
- Colored bounding box (can be changed per configuration)
- Moving the whole bounding box can be don by pressing "control"

A Version 0.4 is in the pipe with bug fixes and perhaps some whishes found in this thread. There is also a ticketing system for bug reports and whishes.

Robert
pablitoclavito
E-book readers owned: Iliad
Number of books owned: 200

Post by pablitoclavito »

Thank you for your program!

About the cropping filter: Is it lossless? (jpg files as input > crop > export to jpeg)

Thanks