DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

ku4dd
Number of books owned: 0

Re: DIY Book Scanner Kits Now Available!

Post by ku4dd »

Do you think that this scanner would handle a book 12x10x4? That's just an inch difference in two dimensions. I am considering purchasing one of your DIY kits, but would not want to put the money into it if scanning this size book is not possible. I have three antiquarian books this size I need to scan.

Kind Regards,
Chris
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

There's a slim possibility. Are those the page dimensions or the outer dimensions of the book? I will see what the largest book I own is, and test it this weekend.

EDIT: BTW, other photographic scanning methods may end up being more appropriate for you - like propping the book in a cradle and setting up a single camera scanner, like the Homer Project does.
ku4dd

Post by ku4dd »

Actual page dimensions are 12x9x3.5

The prospect of up to 1200 pph is encouraging.
mellow-yellow
Number of books owned: 1

Post by mellow-yellow »

mellow-yellow wrote:Is anyone seeing glare issues with the LED light? See image below. I did cover the top of the scanner with dark cloth. Maybe the angle of the left platen wall in my setup isn't high enough? I haven't yet tried a diffuser or adjusting the height of the lamp...
In case this helps anyone else, the solution to my problem was simple: the base props were angled wrong! The left and right laterals of the base were pushed too far down, reducing the angle from, say 45 degrees to about 30, thus introducing the glare. Once I adjusted that, the glare disappeared.

Also, as an experiment, I purchased two Velbon QHD-41Q (https://www.google.com/search?q=Velbon+ ... 33&bih=534) ball head mounts ($60 each), which allow you to relocate the camera in this rig using nearly 360 degree movement. I managed to remove shots of the gutter (and parts the opposite page) in all of my photos, so that Scantailor couldn't make mistakes of showing two pages for one. Not surprisingly though, the mounts added keystoning, which ABBYY Finereader mostly removed.
alexleavitt

Post by alexleavitt »

When will the next set be made available? I'm trying to buy one for USC in Los Angeles.

The page currently says In Stock but also Sold Out.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Apologies for that. They are in-stock now, and have been since Monday.
tresho

Post by tresho »

:?:
What's the cost of shipping your kit to the USA? I went to your website & read through it, but didn't find mention of specific amounts, just a range.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Shipping ranges from 40$ (local to SoCal) to $95 (Florida panhandle). That's cheaper than UPS or Fedex, because I'm set up with a commercial USPS account. Typical orders are around 60-70. It's a 43 pound box, 23x27x7.5", so it does cost a bit.
Centauri61032
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Centauri61032 »

I see that the kits are sold out again now? Can you tell me when they will be available again?
Thanks!
recaptcha

Post by recaptcha »

1). Do you ship to Canada?

2). Is this rev. still a beta?