Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

kalyan
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Post by kalyan »

Hi pablitoclavito,

Thanks for your appreciation.

Jigsaw machine is used for cutting circles, bell shapes and any straight line cuts. I have attached the similar pictures of the tools I used for making this scanner.

Jigsaw - Used to cut into pieces of the parts.

Groove Cutter - Used to take depth in sides of some parts. example : Cradle wing & braces

Wood router : used to take a depth in cradle platform.

Wood lathe : used to make pulleys

I will post on the challenges faced while making the scanner.
Attachments
tools
tools
kalyan

Post by kalyan »

Hi pablitoclavito,

I printed the dxf files into four A0 sheets, then merged them. The merged sheet was pasted on one side of the plywood for cutting into parts.

The best way is to print the full dxf file in one single sheet of 6feet x 4 feet. You can get this printed from the place where the digital banners are made. They may not have software compatible with dxf file, hence I have converted the dxf file into pdf file and posted in other topic. You can make use of this, if required.

Good luck...

I will post one more mail regarding the challenges I had during the course of making the book scanner.
pablitoclavito
E-book readers owned: Iliad
Number of books owned: 200

Post by pablitoclavito »

At first I was thinking of this

http://www.google.es/imgres?q=jigsaw&hl ... x=98&ty=54

Ok, I will keep an eye on your next reply, thanks.
kalyan

Post by kalyan »

you are also correct.

There are two types.
1. Machine is fixed and wood will be moved over the plane.
2. Machine itself will be moving across the plane. (as you found)
amergin

Post by amergin »

I read earlier from this forum that the CNC plans are 2D and the depth information is available as a png file. The CNC workshop where I plan to do the cutting advised that the blueprints should be in a format supported by Solidworks and preferrably in 3D to automate the whole cutting process. My friend worked on AutoCAD and came up with a 3D drawing, which should have the depth information.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24216958/diy_s ... .9.2.0.dwg

Can anyone spot any inaccuracies or false depth information in that drawing? There's something fishy about how AutoCAD handles the file: AutoCAD 2013 can spend ~40minutes to open the file, 2012 and 2011 don't seem to be able to open it at all. Autodesk Trueview 2013 seems to open the file without problems and instantly.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I don't have the tools to read a DWG, but the circular/arc portions of the file may be showing up as a zillion tiny points instead of arcs. That would be the first thing I would check.
ai4px

Post by ai4px »

pablitoclavito wrote: I am interested in knowing how you 'transferred' the drawings to the wood.
Thanks
The easiest way I've found is to send PDFs to your local blueprint company. My local company prints up to D size for $3 a sheet. I then use el-cheap-o spray adhesive to make the paper stick to the plywood. I've used good krylon spray adhesive and could not get the paper to peel off later. What you want is a good gummy spray glue.

A bandsaw and table saw cut downward, so it won't lift the paper on the upstroke like a jig saw or circular saw. This also helps prevent little splinters of wood from breaking off on your cut line (jaggies).

The absolute best looking method of cutting is to get a thinner plywood such as 3/8" 3-ply and make templates. Spend a lot of time on them and get them just right. Do not be tempted to use "hardboard" for your template... the fibers have too much "give" and a router tracert bit will not behave like you think it will. Then use them to trace the outline of the part onto your 3/4" plywood. Cut that part about 1/16 to 1/8 wider (I use a very small washer and a pencil to trace the offset perimeter... like a #4 washer.) Cut the part out with a jig saw or band saw. Keep in mind that jigsaw blades do not always cut square to the material, especially in a curve, so take this into account when you rough cut your final piece a little oversized. Stick the template to the roughcut peice with carpet tape. Then use a tracer bearing bit on a router to cut to final size. If you use this method, many parts which are mirror images of each other only require one template. You will need to square up inside corners due to the radius on the tracer bit though.

The good part about using the template method is when your friends what a book scanner, it's a whole lot easier to make the additional ones.
pablitoclavito
E-book readers owned: Iliad

Post by pablitoclavito »

Thanks for all the ideas ai4px!
amergin

Post by amergin »

Does anyone know the exact specs of the LED light? I'm looking at the product from the China retailers (like this) and the product seems to be available both in "Cold White" and "Warm White". Which is it? I see someone else wondered about the same thing earlier. Daniel, do you have the specs for your light? Which one would be better to get considering camera white balance settings?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Definitely get the "Cool white" or "6500k" one, then you can use daylight white balance on your cameras and get a decent result out-of-the-box. It's not a perfect LED light, but it is good enough for most uses IMO.