how about handwritten notes?

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

sanzoghenzo
Number of books owned: 0

how about handwritten notes?

Post by sanzoghenzo »

I know that it's not strictly on topic, but it does involve paper digitalization, so maybe someone already did that...

Since my (and my friend's) handwritten class notes are stored in binders, I scanned them with my university copier that as ADF. the output PDF, for example, is 28MB for 68pages (I suppose it's jpeg compressed since I can choose to scan to pdf or jpg). Is there a way to shrink the size considered that:
  • I have a mix of plain, squared and striped background, (depending on the availability of the paper! :) )
  • Most of the notes are in single color, but sometimes I used some colors
I tried to use scantailor+pdfbeads but it doesn't perform well at cleaning the background, and if I leave colors the resulting pdf has the same size as the original.
Is there any other tool that can help optimizing the space?
xorpt
E-book readers owned: Sony PRS-T1
Number of books owned: 2000

Re: how about handwritten notes?

Post by xorpt »

Can you upload some sample pages?
sanzoghenzo
Number of books owned: 0

Re: how about handwritten notes?

Post by sanzoghenzo »

I forgot to turn on notifications :P
this is a greyscale pdf, the filesize is fine but ruled paper is too dark for my taste :)
my friend's notes are (almost all) on white paper, but uses colors that I would like to mantain. Perhaps scantailor can do a good job on this (last time I tried i set all the pages to colors/grayscale, so nothing happened, should try to use mixed mode...)
Thanks for your attention!