Powershot A3300 AC adapter and Usb-trigger

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

bimbo111
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Powershot A3300 AC adapter and Usb-trigger

Post by bimbo111 »

Thank you mark i might look into that later on, but so far i'm still hoping to avoid going deeper into the CHDK.

Breakthrough in the AC-adapter department! I managed to power one of the A3300 from a standard ATX power supply. Here's a picture i took in this manner:

Here you can see the setup:

I used this picture as a reference:

I connected number 13 and 14 to turn on the powersupply (black and white on the picture below). The wire colors are different from the pinout above due to the extension cable i've used, so i didn't have to cut up the original cables of the supply.

I could then measure the voltage between 1 and 3 and got a bit worried, when i got 3,2 volts instead of the expected 3,3v. The A3300's battery is 3,6v.
Anyway it turned out to work anyway.

I've sawed a wooden square at the same size as the battery and and placed in conductors as you can see here:

I've drilled to the conductors in two rounds. First a bigger hole in the end and then a smaller one the whole way through:

This way when i put solder on the end with the bigger hole it can't get through the smaller hole and stays put and in contact with the conductor of the camera. I've tried to make a sketch of this:

I need to make this setup more stable and connect the other camera, but i'll wait with this until i've painted my scanner.
Hope anyone can benefit from this!
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

i am also powering my canon a495 from an atx powersuppy, but sometimes i had an "bat low" problem on the cameras, it helped to use a thicker wire and near the camera a capacitor

bye gerard
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Gerard wrote:i am also powering my canon a495 from an atx powersuppy, but sometimes i had an "bat low" problem on the cameras, it helped to use a thicker wire and near the camera a capacitor

bye gerard
Gerard, how was your capacitor connected?
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

i've remove the isolation (without cutting the copper core) and add a screw terminal with the capacitor (soldering would be better)

they should be labeled for >=4V

and watch the polarity :) ->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7bPmGTQUk

the capacitor should be near the camera, or in the battery dummy
Attachments
DSC00271.jpg
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

excellent, thank you! I have another project with MANY cameras that have this same problem, I think a cap is the answer. Nice use of terminals!