Here's my one, let me know what you think.

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

CaptOn
E-book readers owned: Kindle, windows tablet
Number of books owned: 20

Here's my one, let me know what you think.

Post by CaptOn »

Hi just wanted to get some of you guys to have a look at this and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtSUoMAzZbQ

As i post this, i've just finished moving it into my own shed and have put better anti reflection around the whole thing.

One other thing, i'm currently investigating increasing the amount of automation in my scanner. Does anyone have any "beginners guides" to gPhoto or other remote control software specifically for windows. There is a great one up on the wiki, but its more for an intermediate Linux user (when it comes to Linux i'm newb).

The next two somewhat achievable increases in automation as i see it, will be using a stepper motor to raise and lower the platen controlled by and arduino with an external H bridge, and of course tethered camera control.

again all help suggestions appreciated, and I hope this gives some of you useful inspiration.
jck57

Re: Here's my one, let me know what you think.

Post by jck57 »

First I've seen using steel shelving. Great idea. Shutter button pressers are crafty too. For your semi-auto plan I recommend a DC gearmotor or power drill with a winch-ish deal: maybe a 17mm or so diameter cylinder with light steel cable wrapped around it to yank up on your platen. Easy to wire up some motor reversing relays for your Arduino to control.
victoriaaustralia
E-book readers owned: newton
Number of books owned: 2

Post by victoriaaustralia »

Looks great, very slick.

I would process a few books before modifying the scanner set up - get some images, know what you need and then revisit. There are probably more hours to be saved in fine tuning the processing stages than the image capture stages (provided you are capturing a good clean image initially).
Freeware Windows workflow in 2020
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3620
CaptOn
E-book readers owned: Kindle, windows tablet
Number of books owned: 20

Post by CaptOn »

I've pumped through a ton of books.
More than enough for now atleast.
The biggest problem i had was that one of the cammeras would keep resetting its zoom if you stopped for too long, and its resolution was right on the edge of acceptable. That combined with the fact that the lowering the platten induced some shake in the frame if done to quickly gave a bit of blur, and meant some early books needed to be redone.

I'm quite happy with the result, there is plenty or room for improvement but its time i tunred my attention to software for post processing now.

Thanks again guys and girls