Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

pav

Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by pav »

'Scan any type of document whether flat sheet or bound up to A3 in size. The SV600 automatically corrects curved page distortion in bound documents up to 30mm deep and contactless scanning helps protect delicate documents and produces high-quality readability using VI technology.'

On googling price appears to be around 980 US dollars.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ4exzkxXzg

Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 page:
http://scanners.fcpa.fujitsu.com/scansn ... ftware.php
rkomar
E-book readers owned: PRS-505, PocketBook 902, PRS-T1, PocketBook 623, PocketBook 840
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600

Post by rkomar »

That's pretty impressive, and quite cheap for what you get. It sounds like it won't work with really thick books, though, unfortunately (based on the maximum 30mm thickness).
pav

Post by pav »

I'm sure the book thickness limit can be overcome: my thought would be to put it a little higher and get some memory foam underneath the book as in:

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... 317#p10317 possibly foam cut in the middle (into two half-foams).

That and an automatic page turner.
cday
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cday »

The detailed specification shows the optical resolution varying during the scan:

Optical resolution Horizontal scanning: 285 to 218 dpi / Vertical scanning: 283 to 152 dpi *

* Optical resolution differs due to variable scanning

That is presumably due to the CCD sensor having an angular motion as it rotates to scan the page, rather than the linear motion of the sensor in a flat-bed scanner.

The sensor output is then presumably linearised in software to produce a constant dpi in the resulting scanned image, and the quoted maximum 600 dpi is similarly produced by linearisation and interpolation of the sensor output. I wonder how well that works in practice?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

What's the quoted price? I see one listing on eBay for about $1200.
MerlinMags
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by MerlinMags »

I've just read the (independent, but raving) review at http://geekdad.com/2013/10/review-fujit ... d-scanner/
They claim the price is currently USD 795, which is approx GBP 492. Cheaper than I thought!

Limitations:
Windows only, no Mac version of the software yet
You have to manually centre the spine of a book ever so often as you turn the pages
You have to pull the pages apart a bit on thicker books, so the camera can see into the middle of a book (but it does not have to be fully flat!)
The 30mm max thickness is perhaps due to pre-set focus on the lens bit? But I do hope this can be fooled by increasing distance between the unit's sensor and the base.

Is 3 seconds per page a bit slower than most DIY scanners? (The official spec says 3 seconds, but the review claims you can do it in less.)
dtic

Post by dtic »

Has anyone checked if the software (including dewarping) can be used without the hardware? Likely not, but worth a shot.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

My interest would be primarily the software as well.

I wouldn't be confident that the book thickness limit can be overcome. I doubt that there is any way to vary the focus of the camera, and I expect it's already pushing its high-depth-of-field lens just to scan from the near edge of the book to the far edge. On my Canons (on which I admittedly don't use the narrowest f-stop available) I can see the beginning of some fuzziness on large pages on the outer edges, and that's with the sensor plane virtually parallel to the page plane. It might be possible to position the scanning unit closer to the vertical center of the book, but will the software work correctly when it gets a "barrel" image where it was expecting a "trapezoid"?

I don't know if 3 seconds includes the scanning time or is simply the time you give yourself to turn pages between scans. If it's the total time between captures I doubt you could go any faster. I use a similar setup (no platen, fingers holding down pages) and the rate I'm most comfortable with is 5 seconds from scan to scan. That usually gives me a second or two extra, but I often need that extra second or two to separate two pages and cleanly turn and flatten them. Even so, I end up with my hands in the picture about once every 1000 pages. An extra 2 seconds per capture, for 1000 pages, works out to less than ten minutes. I could easily need that much time to recognize and re-shoot pages that I've missed by trying to set a speed record.
Mark Main

Post by Mark Main »

cday wrote:The detailed specification shows the optical resolution varying during the scan:

Optical resolution Horizontal scanning: 285 to 218 dpi / Vertical scanning: 283 to 152 dpi *

* Optical resolution differs due to variable scanning

That is presumably due to the CCD sensor having an angular motion as it rotates to scan the page, rather than the linear motion of the sensor in a flat-bed scanner.

The sensor output is then presumably linearised in software to produce a constant dpi in the resulting scanned image, and the quoted maximum 600 dpi is similarly produced by linearisation and interpolation of the sensor output. I wonder how well that works in practice?
I spoke with the company today and they said that the scanner's true resolution is a bit less than what is posted because it's having to do some software magic as we all know well; but he did say that the scanner does produce close to what's posted (e.g. 300, 600, 1200dpi), that it does have some proprietary software that gets the quality close to the posted resolutions. He also said that their going to release the Mac drivers here in the next few weeks, their shooting for the Christmas holidays.

And lastly, he did say that you can create a cutout around the book and vary the height should you need to scan something very thick that's beyond the 30mm limit.
grisard

Post by grisard »

There is a (positive) review of this scanner on this blog: http://www.documentsnap.com/scansnap-sv600-review. But I am not so sure whether this is an impartial opinion because the website http://www.documentsnap.com in general rather promotes Fujitsu ScanSnap scanners over any other producers (the site perhaps might be sponsored by Fujitsu). There is also a 3 page test scan from a book on this blog (direct link to the test scan: http://cache.documentsnap.com/files/ear ... e-ages.pdf). Looking at this test scan leads me to assume that this scanner does not offer any dewarping. The OCR result is questionable: word recognition seems to be o.k. but when you copy the hidden text from this pdf into Word, there is a paragraph break after each single word, i.e. each word has its own line! So from this roughly 4 pages of original text you get 21 pages in Word. :shock: I think this OCR result is completely useless.

The update to this post also mentions that Mac software is available now.

This scanner could be interesting if it offered dewarping and proper OCR.