Camera dual triggering

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

evamvid
E-book readers owned: Kindle Touch
Number of books owned: 0

Camera dual triggering

Post by evamvid »

Hey people,
I've found a camera that I want to use in a scanner (probably the hackerspace scanner). It's supported by chdk, but not SDM. Is there a way to trigger both cameras at the same time (from the same switch) using only chdk?

I also would prefer not to have to be tied to a computer, if possible.

The camera in question is a powershot A2300IS

Thanks!
steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Re: Camera dual triggering

Post by steve1066d »

Yes.. I use CHDK. Here's the script I use:

Code: Select all

@title Left Remote
:loop
press "shoot_half"
do
until (is_key "remote")
click "shoot_full"
release "shoot_half"
goto "loop"
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
evamvid

Post by evamvid »

Where do I do this?

Sorry...I'm pretty new to this...
evamvid

Post by evamvid »

Also, what about the hardware? Where do I buy a remote? Or is there a way to make one?

Thanks!
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

First step is to get a memory card with CHDK installed. Take a look here:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_For_New ... To_Install

Next, bring up notepad or your favorite text editor, and copy and paste that script above to \chdk\scripts\remote.bas on the card. From the chdk menu, you load the remote.bas script, then press the shutter key to start the script.

Its pretty easy to make a remote. I think the easiest way to do it is to use a powered usb hub. You just need to add a switch to the hub. Use momentary switch like this one from Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062508

Cut one of the two wires of the cord that goes between the wall wart and the hub, and attach the button in between. (Depending on how long the cord is you might have to add some wire to extend the button to where you want.

Then plug usb cables from the cameras to the hub, and when you press the button, it will turn on the hub which will fire the cameras. Even before you get the button installed, you can experiment with it by just using the hub and plugging in the power to the hub for a second to trigger the cameras.
Steve Devore
JCKirk
E-book readers owned: Nook, Kindle, iBooks
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by JCKirk »

Steve,

Thanks for the idea. While I'm not a complete newbie, I'm experiencing some difficulty using the script on a Canon A2200. I can run the script but the USB cable to momentary power causes the camera to fire up it's focusing light but not to take a photo. Is the camera mode important?

Thanks,
mhhelle
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 200

Post by mhhelle »

I also had the same problem as JCKirk-- the cameras would act like they were getting ready to take a picture when I pressed my trigger, but never actually would. I found the answer in another thread and thought I'd post it here for posterity. You have to enable remotes in the chdk menu before it will work. I don't have my cameras in front of me now but it is something like CHDK options -> Remote Triggering -> Enable Remote. Once I did the above script from Steve worked fine for my on my A810s.
Remnkemi

Post by Remnkemi »

steve1066d wrote:First step is to get a memory card with CHDK installed. Take a look here:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_For_New ... To_Install

Next, bring up notepad or your favorite text editor, and copy and paste that script above to \chdk\scripts\remote.bas on the card. From the chdk menu, you load the remote.bas script, then press the shutter key to start the script.

Its pretty easy to make a remote. I think the easiest way to do it is to use a powered usb hub. You just need to add a switch to the hub. Use momentary switch like this one from Radio Shack

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062508

Cut one of the two wires of the cord that goes between the wall wart and the hub, and attach the button in between. (Depending on how long the cord is you might have to add some wire to extend the button to where you want.
Then plug usb cables from the cameras to the hub, and when you press the button, it will turn on the hub which will fire the cameras. Even before you get the button installed, you can experiment with it by just using the hub and plugging in the power to the hub for a second to trigger the cameras.
Thank you for your script. I ended up using a foot pedal connected to a hub with your script. But the cameras shoot 2 pictures every time. One camera turns on the flash and the other one doesn't. Does this have to do with the script or CHDK settings? What should I do?
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

As far as the flash.. that is probably just a standard flash setting.. you've probably got one camera that is set to flash, and another one it is turned off.

Try taking a picture with each camera without chdk to verify that.

As far as the two pictures per press, remove the lines that say "shoot_half" and see if that helps.

If that doesn't, there may be something funky with your foot switch. Try holding down the foot switch then, disconnect the usb power, then reconnect it then unplug it. If you do it that way to you get one or two pictures?
Steve Devore
EsquireTech

Post by EsquireTech »

When selecting a powered USB hub is the amp rating a factor? I have one hub that has a 3.0 amp power adapter and another hub that uses a 2.6 amp adapter and I want to repurpose one of the hubs to scanner duty. I would like to dual trigger a pair of A2200's via USB by using a momentary switch. Does it matter which 5V adapter I use? Putting the trigger in place is the final piece to finish to have my diybookscanner ready to roll.