RK3188 & Software

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

Cypris2010
Number of books owned: 0

RK3188 & Software

Post by Cypris2010 »

Has anyone of you tried to run Scantailor, tesseract or the spreads script on an RK3188 Device like K-R42 (http://www.amazon.de/K-R42-Android-Hisi ... B00EGMTVEE) or any similar Devices.

Tecnical Data:
ARMv7-A, Up to 1.8 GHz Quad-core ARM Cortex-A9, Mali-400 MP (Quad core, 533 MHz),LPDDR2, DDR3, DDR3L support and up to 2 GB
Tulon

Re: RK3188 & Software

Post by Tulon »

If you can put Linux on that device, it should be possible to build and run Scan Tailor / Tesseract / Spreads. Performance won't be great though. If CPU is not a bottleneck, I/O will be one. USB 2.0 is not exactly a high speed interface.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Cypris2010

Post by Cypris2010 »

Why du you think that USB will be the bottleneck? The Cameras are also USB 2.0. Can you explain your idea a bit more?
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Actually, it may not be a big deal. I was under the impression that Scan Tailor output files are tens of MBs each, but it turns out they are typically much smaller. If your input files are JPEGs, you should be fine.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
jbaiter
E-book readers owned: 2

Post by jbaiter »

We are working on it :-)
Right now we're focusing on getting spreads to run on the Raspberry Pi in combination with a more powerful machine on the network for the postprocessing.
Those results should transfer to other embedded ARM-Boards pretty well,though, and if desired the postprocessing can be done on the same machine as well.
A first version of this networked variant with a web interface will be shipped with 0.5, which should be out around March.

At least on the RPi, the specs are just far too weak to do any real postprocessing like ScanTailor, at most we could do manual cropping and maybe rotation. Any kind of image analysis is out of the question, though. Other ARM boards might fare better, me and Mark have been looking at some Allwinner boards (most notably the A20) that have a dual core processor and more RAM. We haven't ordered any for testing yet, though.
spreads: Command-line workflow assistant
Cypris2010

Post by Cypris2010 »

I'm looking forward for your report of the testing.
markvdb

Post by markvdb »

We've tested this and similar quad cortex a9 boards and found them not powerful enough.

I will be looking at some really interesting 64 bit alternatives in the near future, both arm and x86. Will keep you up to date.
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter