Nokia PureView 41MP

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Nokia PureView 41MP

Post by vitorio »

My Nokia Lumia 1020 arrived, and I've uploaded a single test photo I took with it.

I don't have a good home setup for one-off shots like this, so I'm not prepared to take additional ones. It wasn't on a tripod, the lighting is overhead fluorescents, I didn't do a custom white balance, and you can see my reflection a bit in the acrylic. I just held the camera up until the entire book fit in the frame, no digital zoom.

But, it does demonstrate the 600dpi I was able to get out of it. This is using the stock Nokia camera app, auto everything, JPEG format, not the latest version which supports RAW (DNG format, apparently ~40MB in size) uncompressed images. The visible page area is 8.5" tall (where the tape measure is) showing ~622dpi, and 6-3/8" wide showing ~600dpi.

Note that only the Nokia 808 (Symbian) and the Nokia Lumia 1020 (Windows Phone 8) have the 41MP sensor. There are other "PureView" models but they have fewer megapixels.
thumb Windows Phone_20140316_20_34_55_Pro__highres.jpg
thumb Windows Phone_20140316_20_34_55_Pro__highres.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 17437 times
Right click, save as: 5MP pixel-binned JPEG (1.4MB) and 38MP full-size JPEG (9.8MB)
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Nokia PureView 41MP

Post by daniel_reetz »

THANK YOU. It's interesting to see the top left of the image - it looks substantially less-focused than the rest. Any comment on that?
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Yeah, I noticed. I'm pretty sure I told it to focus on the right side of the image, as it was hand-held in my right hand while I held blackout curtain up with the other, so I'm going to chalk it up to user error.

If I can find my tripod (or borrow one, or set up clamps or something), I'll have time to take some proper shots in a couple of weeks, probably.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Huhn. So, apparently there's a 16:9 and 4:3 toggle that I missed. The photo I posted is 16:9 34MP, which is 7712x4352. The 4:3 mode is 38MP, 7136x5360, only 700px narrower, but over 1000px taller. I'll have to try both, I guess.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Just an FYI, used Nokia 1020s are all over eBay for as little as $100.

I no longer use mine as my primary phone, and I just ordered a second one (black, cracked screen, working digitizer, not unlocked, clean IMEI) for $112 out the door, to try with the new Book Liberator beta.
qv_
E-book readers owned: iRiver
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by qv_ »

41 Mpix in theory do not mean 41 MPix in the end result.
The optics of the camera also make a limit of the resolution.

You have to run a resolution test chart to see the DPI.

/Jan
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

I've taken some JPEG photos of test charts using the 1020 and posted them in this thread: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 438#p18438 . The tl;dr is ~430-470dpi in the Book Liberator scanner, which is better than the ~350dpi I get out of the A2200s in the Hackerspace scanner, but a far cry from the 600dpi I was hoping for.

I did not take RAW photos (DNG format), which the 1020 (and lower-resolution 1520) can do using the Lumia Camera app, but if someone wants to see some, I can do that after I get the blackout tent going. There are some sample (non-book) images in that link, and DP Review examined the 1020's RAW output in detail as well.

Also, I played around with the CameraPro app. CameraPro supports the high-resolution 38MP/34MP images of the 1020, offers manual control of focus, and wifi/bluetooth remote control. It takes photos a lot faster than the Lumia Camera app does.

Wifi remote control is done through a web server built into the app; you hit particular URLs to perform actions, and it provides nearly full control of the app, as illustrated in their demo:
Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 9.23.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 9.23.28 PM.png (129.98 KiB) Viewed 16629 times
You can download the most recently-taken image over this interface as well. The other interesting thing is that, since each phone has its own IP address on wifi, they don't conflict, and you can do this:
Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 9.27.08 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-11-11 at 9.27.08 PM.png (40.1 KiB) Viewed 16629 times
According to the manual, this also works if one of the phones is serving as its own access point, with the second phone (and your controlling device) connecting to it, which means a multi-phone + controller setup could be pretty self-contained.

Bluetooth remote control looks to be meant for hardware control, like making an Arduino Bluetooth push-button remote.

You cannot take RAW photos with CameraPro.

The other problem the phones have, is getting the photos off of them. Taking the files off via the CameraPro app one at a time will slow down your scanning process; you want to take all your pages at once, and then download them in a batch. You could manually select the files and upload them to OneDrive or Dropbox or something, or transfer over Bluetooth (slow), but there's no built-in wifi file transfer.

If you're using the 1020 in a Hackerspace or Archivist scanner, you'll really want to keep a USB cable plugged into them providing power. If this is a controlling computer providing power over USB and also transferring files, you'll still need a separate wifi or Bluetooth connection as well to trigger CameraPro, or something else (mechanical against the shutter button, or synthetic touchscreen tap) to trigger Lumia Camera. If this is just power, you'll need to be able to swap the cables, what they're plugged into, or remove the phones to transfer your files.

If you're using the 1020 in a Book Liberator scanner, it's probably not a hardship to unclip the phones and just transfer all the files over USB. Label your phones "left" and "right" (you can set this up in filenames in CameraPro, too), get rid of everything else on the home screen, and it can probably be pretty point-and-shoot.
wp_ss_20141111_0001(2).png
Finally, I recommend making a new Microsoft account for your 1020s that you use for book scanning. The phones default to syncing all your settings, so if you use an actual Windows Phone as your phone, it'll sync all your contacts and events and passwords and such between them. It'll also want to automatically upload the 5MP versions of your page photos to OneDrive. You probably don't want any of that, but you do need a Microsoft account to download updated apps from the Store, and also to buy CameraPro.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

vitorio wrote:According to the manual, this also works if one of the phones is serving as its own access point, with the second phone (and your controlling device) connecting to it, which means a multi-phone + controller setup could be pretty self-contained.

Bluetooth remote control looks to be meant for hardware control, like making an Arduino Bluetooth push-button remote.
I didn't have time to go shopping for the blackout tent this weekend, but I did play around with CameraPro's remote shutter control a little more.

For wifi control, you need either your computer to be an access point, you need wifi wherever you're doing the scanning, or you need yet another device to provide an independent wifi access point. You can't have one of the 1020s be an access point if you don't have cellular data service, which these phones don't. This is an issue for me, for example, at the university library, where wifi access is not granted to non-students, and cellular reception is poor to non-existent. Also, I'm on a Mac, which similarly won't serve as an access point without an internet connection on another interface. Windows Phone doesn't support connecting to ad-hoc wifi networks.

Bluetooth is tricky. CameraPro's Bluetooth interface (at least on Windows Phone) was expressly designed for use with an Arduino microcontroller. The protocol it talks assumes a common (but not standard) Arduino Bluetooth serial hardware adapter and a particular Arduino data transfer library.

I've been successful in getting an Arduino to trigger one camera, and both cameras simultaneously, over Bluetooth. This setup isn't something I'd really want to drag around, though, or even leave somewhere where it might get knocked over.
10809578_959918670703975_1252938434_n.jpg
10809578_959918670703975_1252938434_n.jpg (128.39 KiB) Viewed 16574 times
It's also kinda expensive, $25 for an Uno, $25 for a USB Host Shield, probably $10-20 for a compatible Bluetooth 2.x adapter, power, wiring up a pushbutton. (Alternately, to trigger multiple cameras using the expected Arduino Bluetooth serial hardware adapter, you'd need to wire up two of them. They're under $10 each, but still.) There doesn't seem to be a self-contained classic Bluetooth + Arduino + button unit like there is for BTLE. It will work fine as a standalone trigger, but it's annoying, at best.

I've been so far unsuccessful in getting my Mac to do it over Bluetooth. You need to connect to it with a "classic" (not Bluetooth 4.0 Low Energy / Bluetooth Smart / BTLE) Bluetooth Serial Port Profile (SPP). The protocol is Bill Porter's EasyTransfer. This interface doesn't show up when you pair it to a computer, and I've been unable to get the Python "lightblue" library and the Node.js "bluetooth-serial-port" libraries to communicate with CameraPro. I think it's because they both only support RFCOMM, not proper SPP.

It's possible the Bluetooth tools available on Linux or Windows (either the command-line ones, or the Python "PyBluez" library) will work.

It's also possible I can wire up a couple of those Bluetooth serial hardware adapters with a USB-to-serial plug and so use my computer.

Or, I can drag out a Raspberry Pi, and probably do either Bluetooth or Wifi, then.
PocketLibrarian

Post by PocketLibrarian »

This is AWESOME!

I have a working Hackerspace bookscanner setup but am so excited about a portable (take to library for capture) setup that I just bought two used Nokia 1020s and now want to find (existing?) dual-camera mount to use in a miniature version of the bookscanner.

1. Any such creations out there?

I would consider paying 200-300 USD$ for someone to create a wonderful compact folding stand with lighting, camera mounts and any other electronics (for triggering, capturing etc).

2. I've not played with the Camera Pro remote control access and was wondering ...
... if depth of field is adequate to focus once and shoot 10-20 pages before needing to re-focus (manually) to speed the capture process or if the focus/capture on trigger would be significantly slower?
... if no locally supplied wifi (such as restricted in some libraries) what would be a simple, durable, easy and compact way to provide my own (Apple airport express?)?

3. I've not played with Arduino or Raspberry yet. Would I need (either) to complete a self-contained (no external wifi) dual camera capture system?

4. Any other things I should consider?

Thank you for sharing your work!
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

PocketLibrarian wrote:2. I've not played with the Camera Pro remote control access and was wondering ...
... if depth of field is adequate to focus once and shoot 10-20 pages before needing to re-focus (manually) to speed the capture process or if the focus/capture on trigger would be significantly slower?
The Camera Pro software can set the focus on tap, and then take the picture without re-focusing, so if your camera is a fixed distance from your platen, it should be fine, if the initial focus is correct. It also has a "manual" focus mode, but you really have to prepare this, and make sure the full-resolution photos are actually in focus, can't trust the viewfinder. I haven't played with this yet.
PocketLibrarian wrote:3. I've not played with Arduino or Raspberry yet. Would I need (either) to complete a self-contained (no external wifi) dual camera capture system?
If you have a computer, two 1020s, and a wifi access point of your own that they're all connected to, then dual capture can be as simple as clicking a button in your browser over and over again.

If you have no wifi, you'll need a Bluetooth setup. I've only gotten this Arduino system to work. It might be reasonable to duplicate yourself, although I'd have to make sure you could actually find the antique Bluetooth adapter I'm using. I've an idea for a computer/Raspberry Pi-based solution, but I haven't tried it yet.