Introducing spreads: command-line workflow tool

General discussion about software packages and releases, new software you've found, and threads by programmers and script writers.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Introducing spreads: command-line workflow tool

Post by daniel_reetz »

Arche wrote:Spreads looks amazing, good job!
One question though, has anybody done anything to get the canon EOS line running with it? My pair of EOS600's (Rebel T3i) is aching to get some use.. :)
It has the architecture in place for someone to write a Gphoto2 plugin - I don't know that there is one yet. I would love it if you could help get one going.
jbaiter
E-book readers owned: 2
Number of books owned: 0

Post by jbaiter »

Arche wrote: One question though, has anybody done anything to get the canon EOS line running with it? My pair of EOS600's (Rebel T3i) is aching to get some use.. :)
As Daniel already mentioned above, spreads' architecture makes it pretty easy to add support for non-CHDK as well. In the case of the EOS600, I would have a look at the MagicLantern firmware, there seems to be a Python API for it, so writing a plugin shouldn't be much of a problem: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Remo ... and_Python
There also seems to be an option that makes ML's PTP API compatible with the CHDKPTP PTP API, so with some luck you might even get it to work with the chdkcamera driver that is already included: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/PTP-CHDK
And does it run under linux ARM versions? Ubuntu (studio)12.04 to be more precise..
Yes, it does. We are currently mainly working with Raspberry Pis (ARMv6), but the software and all required libraries should work across all ARM processors and probably even MIPS.
spreads: Command-line workflow assistant
shesgottageek

Post by shesgottageek »

jbaiter wrote:That's due to an API change in one of the modules that I use. I have a fix ready but I still need to merge it into the master branch on GitHub, which will probably be in the next few days.
Hi there, jbaiter. I was wondering if you'd be pushing an update to the github master any time soon? I'm looking forward to trying out spreads but haven't been able to figure out what I'd need to change from the .42 version to cope with the API change you mention. Thanks for your time, and if I can get it going on my laptop, I'm probably going to take a look at the Raspberry Pi version you've been working on. Cheers!

PS. If I can get this installed, I'll be posting the code to handle the Canon A4000 cameras--I think I've got that part figured out based on your earlier posts for the A2000 and 850(?) models.
jbaiter

Post by jbaiter »

shesgottageek, you can access the latest revision here: http://github.com/DIYBookScanner/spreads

The jbaiter/spreads is my personal fork where I put experimental branches, it hasn't seen updates in over a week.
As for the A4000, try out the vanilla 'chdkcamera' driver, it seems to work fine for the A810, maybe your device doesn't need any special handling either :-)
shesgottageek

Post by shesgottageek »

jbaiter wrote:shesgottageek, you can access the latest revision here: http://github.com/DIYBookScanner/spreads

The jbaiter/spreads is my personal fork where I put experimental branches, it hasn't seen updates in over a week.
As for the A4000, try out the vanilla 'chdkcamera' driver, it seems to work fine for the A810, maybe your device doesn't need any special handling either :-)

Can anyone suggest to me how I get the most up-to-date version of the project? I used the command suggested in the installation guide: sudo pip install git+git://github.com/DIYBookScanner/spreads.git@master
this installed the 0.42 version which errored on me. and unfortunately, none of the git tutorials I've read so far have managed to convey to my head how to do this. :? :? :? (My understanding is that the "master" is the last release, not the most up-to-date changes. There have been additional mods since the 0.42 release, and I would like to be able to try them out, as I'm just abt finished with assembling my parts for a davidlandlin pvc-tube scanner. Thank you in advance, and thanks to jbaiter and the other contributors for spreads.
jbaiter

Post by jbaiter »

The command you posted does not install the latest release, but actually the latest HEAD (== latest development changes), so pretty much what you want.
Please try uninstalling the old version first ('pip uninstall spreads') and/or work from a Python virtualenv to avoid conflicts.
Also, can you post the exact error you're getting?
You have to do some more things to get spreads to run if you install from GitHub, namely installing some extra requirements for some of the drivers and plugins:

Code: Select all

$ pip install cffi
$ pip install spreads[chdkcamera,web]
PocketLibrarian

Post by PocketLibrarian »

Hi fellow bookscanners!

I am having trouble getting spreads to download from http://buildbot.diybookscanner.org/nigh ... est.tar.gz.
I get all the dependencies downloaded and installed except for Wand and Spreads.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

As far as I am aware, Spreads is no longer maintained. It is a neat project that I hope gets reborn some day if Johannes gets more time to work on it. In the mean time, you might take a look at TwoCamControl (a similar project for windows) and Pi Scan (a similar project meant for running on a Raspberry Pi).

-Jonathon Duerig
PocketLibrarian

Post by PocketLibrarian »

After seeing video with Daniel Reetz demoing the Spreads software using Raspberry Pi and lack of success with PiScan (multiple errors and cameras losing connections I am using two Canon ELPH 160s with current CHDK sw) running same firmware 1.0A, I don't mind using "older software/scripts" if they work.

How do I get the latest Spread software?
What languages and development tools do I need to update Spreads?

I'm not a programmer but willing to learn. I have an older scanner from Daniel and need some software / script to capture a pile of books.
I've got a local kid who will do the actual capturing and I will do the post processing.

Appreciatively,
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »