new here, thinking about a book scanner

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

bsbob
Number of books owned: 0

Re: new here, thinking about a book scanner

Post by bsbob »

And then I get to the last line of that color temperature page...
"So it is betty to confirm the light color with Kelvin scale to limit it." Betty? Schucky gee. I guess it's betty then. *Alla George Bailey* Hot dog!

:roll: 21st century... Who says, "It's betty?" These people I guess.
http://hubpages.com/about/us

Gosh. :geek:

Interesting stuff here...
http://www.zitrades.com/catalog/

Hm... "Thin."
http://www.amazon.com/ZITRADES-quality- ... S+20W+thin
-- but warm white...

Two lights -- Essentially so each page will have its own light. Light centered over each page. Somehow. I just have to make sure the angle is right, that the lights are far enough away.

http://www.zitrades.com/catalog/Outdoor ... 25/17.html
thin, and black
But not on Amazon...
Or it is...
http://www.amazon.com/ZITRADES-quality- ... B00G4ZZEBA

Other notes I just wrote down and forgot to post..

Pros
3 prong plug
Probably bright enough. 20W and two? Probably.

Cons
Too bright?
Grey? Will I have to paint them?
Will they get hot? They're LED's.

2 pounds? Shipping weight, but... I guess that will work. They would be attached to the structure anyway.

7x6x5 roughly. Hand-sized. Fine.

Glass on the light... I wonder what that reflects...

If these are 'thin' cool white... That might be the way to go. Thin, just so it takes up less space I guess.

Here's 30W, thin, cool white. It's still cool white. They just call it white though.
http://www.amazon.com/ZITRADES-quality- ... E61BMNFZJ0

I'm wondering if 30W would be too much. Even 20W might be too much.

I'm thinking of some other 20W bulbs... Except those are the CFL/energy efficient ones...

So... Probably either the 20W regular or 20W thin...
http://www.zitrades.com/catalog/Outdoor ... 25/17.html
Thin is thin. And the thin one is black. Only about $1.50 more on Amazon. The 30W are almost $40. Each.

Thinking... These things are going to be behind and above.... Pointing down at the book/platen... but also at me a bit. A blinder or something for the light would be good.

Power shot a1400's were the first thing I looked at and the last, what I ended up buying....
30W... Too expensive.
20W... Ok I guess. Thin is only a little more than regular... And it's black, so that's a plus here.
bsbob

Post by bsbob »

Almost got myself convinced to buy...

Cool white vs. warm white? My book scanner doesn't have to be perfect... so does it matter? Maybe not. I'll probably go with cool white though.

Re-found a few posts...
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =16&t=2738
-- This guy bought cool white, but got warm white. Didn't like warm white.
-- References this color page...
http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page/001/CTGY/ColorTemp

Oi...
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... warm#p8055
Sounds like he's leaning toward warm white.

Another idea -- 30W (or more) and then use a dimmer. More control. And most cost... That would be up to $80 and then the cost of dimmers after that. And I'd probably want the lights on full all the time anyway...

I need to order this gift so it arrives in time hopefully.
I'm tired. Headache.
Probably any light is ok, warm vs. cool white.

I'll get the thin, cool white, LEDs. Be done with it.

Then it's finding a place that sells the right kind of acrylic or glass.
Making the pvc structure. Painting it.
Figuring out YASW still.
Looking into Scan Tailor
Trying out Acrobat to see how it does.
dpc

Post by dpc »

I have two of the cool white 20W LED flood lights on my scanner. I mounted them end-to-end rather than side-by-side because this allows them to be positioned closer to the platen without causing a reflection of the light source off the platen and back into the camera lens.

Here's a crude diagram that hopefully will give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

If you keep your light(s) above that reflection vector it won't be visible to the camera. Note that you'll have the same issue with the second camera and its reflection vector off the other platen half which will form an 'X' when crossing the vector in the diagram above. The light(s) will need to be positioned somewhere in that upper 'v' of the 'X' to prevent reflection into the camera. I hope that makes sense?
bsbob

Post by bsbob »

(Still need to read above....)

Someone gave me their old, cheap scanner. Glass plate looks the same size as the other garbage scanner plate I got. So now I've got my two scanner plates. Shiny, brittle glass plates. Probably legal size or whatever the standard size is.

Lights have been shipped. (Gift will arrive on time. Whew...)

Glass is too brittle to drill though, right? So a platen of glass would need some kind of platen holder. That would need to be able to adjust and swing a bit with the counterbalance set up. That one had 1% reflectivity which sounds good.

Possibly being able to swap out a platen sounds good too. If that's an option.

Acrylic can be drilled through. Being more susceptible to scratches doesn't sound great. Mine might be great scratched up. If I only knew how to get a platen holder working on could go with glass.... Glass is probably cheaper than acrylic too. Although more breakable I suppose. A glass platen holder would be two V's or triangles on the ends with a long part along the sides, possibly a rubber strip where the glass plates meet in the crevice of the book.... I wonder if PVC pipe would work... Cut a slit lengthwise in pvc pipe....Or wood. I was thinking wood before. Notch out a slot in wood and jam the glass platen in that. Wood might adjust to temperature and humidity though. Or could wrap and stress the glass. I really like the idea of not drilling through glass and not having to worry about scratches. Plus the reflectivity angle. (haha, I see what I did there... :lol: :roll: )

Thinking... The counterbalance.... Cameras are pointed toward the middle. The sides of the platen (holder) really don't get in the way. Triangles on the ends would be stronger than V's.... Looking at this pic...
PVC or wood would add a little more weight....
It could still be held in the middle of the long edges...
I wonder if just gluing a platen into slits in pvc or wood would be enough. Just enough to hold the glass in a platen holder. Then attach the long sides of the platen holder like the counter balance here.
Painted black... Even the inside of pvc pipe might need to be painted black. That could potentially eliminate light issues from the very sides of the platen. I read something about that effect on here. There might still be light in the crevice area of the platen though...
And if it's glass... No sharp edges to cut myself on if the entire exposed edges are covered with pvc pipe....
The triangle ends could have more reinforcement than just one triangle bar. It could be several bars. Or a whole "wall" on each end....
Or really a triangle on each end and a rectangle around the top....
If the rectangle part were thick enough, you could just screw and bolt through that... That's how it would attached to the platen holder, holder to the counter balance arms...

Depends how much the glass costs. I've got my cheap scanner glass pieces. Those are probably close to the size I'm looking for for the 'official' glass. It might be possible to create some kind of mock up. See if it works. Then order the real glass later. Or screw it and just order acrylic and copy the Landin model.
bsbob

Post by bsbob »

Yes, that helps with the light info.

Whew... Cool white. I had a feeling that one was right. Or it really doesn't matter at all.

The counter balance model has space for lights on that arm. Otherwise, they could probably go anywhere for attaching them to something. I wondering if light(weight) enough lights could be attached to the arms. I don't know what the angles are for getting the reflections right.

Dang. I'm going to have to get some kind of board for the book holder too. It's funny how this thing is coming into being. I was wondering if I'll end up not getting to the post-image processing until after it's all built. If the pics are good enough to read... I'm not going to be that motivated to produced a polished copy. Except that I've got a set of left and a set of right pics... Hard to flip through.
bsbob

Post by bsbob »

Quick sketch of what I was thinking for a glass platen holder....

Dang... the pvc pipe or wood on the V parts couldn't be farther down than the glass. Otherwise it's going to contact the book first instead of the glass.... Hm.. A rectangle around the top doesn't sound too sturdy.... Unless the glass platen is long than the book... Which is probably going to be true in a lot of cases.... Or longer than the book holder... If it contacts the book holder and raises the glass over the book too much, then the book would have to be thick enough to not have a gap (a gap where the pages bulge up and you get a bump).

If glue on glass works... The V parts could be glued on the inside... Slots and glue on the rectangle around the top.... Glue on something above the glass on the V side parts.... That would be holding the glass plates in place with glue essentially. Glue that sticks to glass and plastic or wood. Wood, easy enough. But glass and plastic? Maybe, probably. Add in the stress of thousands of pages pressing against that too....

I have my cheap scanner glass plates (hopefully the same size) and the cheap Walmart glass plates.... I could get some really narrow pvc pipe and make a mock up... It wouldn't be bad to have those loose glass plates held at a 90 degree angle. It looked like a pain to actually scan with them loose...
Attachments
scanner still 2.jpg
scanner still 2.jpg (213.36 KiB) Viewed 10316 times
bsbob

Post by bsbob »

Lights arrived.

Probably fine.

Bright enough to leave stars in the eyes for a few minutes afterward. :roll:

No switch. Just plug in... Then become very aware which direction they're pointing.

Definitely cool white. That bluish color. Good enough I guess. We'll see. Sure... Now I start to wonder.

Bright enough to light up a small room.

Heavier than I expected. Not exactly sure on the weight.

And wider. I was picturing something a little smaller. If you put your fingers together and hold both hands together, it's about that big/wide. So I'm glad I got the thin one.

I was wondering about the angle since I've got two. There's some amount of area in use with these.

I'll just have to test it out with a book to see. Although... If these work well enough, I could turn all the lights off and just use these with my current lack of set up.

I'm wondering how to attach these to pvc pipes. They do have a nice moveable handle part on them. Duct tape yes... But I need something more permanent. Some flexibility would be good too, although once I find "the" spot for the lights, that's probably where they'll stay.

Thinking.... I need...
pvc structure, painted black
glass or acrylic platens (and possibly a platen holder 'thing' if it's glass)
book holder, the MFB stuff, also painted black
Need to figure out YASW, Scan Tailor, Acrobat

I suppose I should focus on the pvc structure, paint,and book holder next. PVC structure first probably. I could take 'naked'/platenless pics still. Although if I've got the specs, I suppose I could order now. If I've got the pvc structure set up, I should know better about the size of the platen.
bsbob

Post by bsbob »

Hm. So how do you attach this to the horizontal pvc pipe shown above? Or maybe it would go on something else...

In case anyone didn't notice, it's 20W. Printed right on the front in the 72pt font. :roll: I saw thinking I might be able to cover some of that up.
bsbob

Post by bsbob »

Haha... If the floodlights didn't work out for a book scanner, like if I suddenly wanted warm white instead.... Just get a timer, point these at my bed.... Nice, bright floodlight "alarm clock." :roll:

I wonder if these could be mounted sideways. Handle part attached to a pvc pole. The lights would be able to pivot side to side instead of up and down. Both would be good though, if there's a way. To be able to minutely adjust up/down and left/right on them.