how to straighten curved text?

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Adam32
Number of books owned: 500

how to straighten curved text?

Post by Adam32 »

I have just started using Scan Tailor and really love the program. One thing I can't seem to do is correct curved / wavy text. Is there a way to do this in Scan Tailor? I am able to deskew which changes the actual orientation of the page but it does not fix text that is curved. In Abby fine reader I am able to fix this very easily using the "Straightening curved text lines" options in the image editor. I can also fix this very easily with Omnipage. Both of these programs I can just apply these filters without even needing to OCR. The problem is these are trial programs and quite expensive to buy (although I will buy them if I have no other options). So my question is, are there a free open source program like Scan Tailor that will do what I want to do?
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: how to straighten curved text?

Post by duerig »

In the 'output' step, you can enable dewarping (which is different than deskewing). See if that helps in your case. I've used it with great success, but you might have to tweak the box it uses for title pages or other special pages.

It definitely helps with keystoning issues. I would be interested to know how well it works for curved text closer to the spine.
Adam32
Number of books owned: 500

Re: how to straighten curved text?

Post by Adam32 »

Yes I tried that but it does not seem as good as omnipage or abby