A2200

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

rcull
Number of books owned: 0

A2200

Post by rcull »

I am feeling like I may be in over my head with this project...

I built the scanner a while ago, and purchase two A2200s. I built a remote button. I installed CHDK. I can access the CHDK menu, although I am not sure what to do with it.
I set each camera to different setting (*, one push, normal) on the remote capture and plug them into my remote button and neither one fires:(

I am wondering if I could have found an easier set of cameras to work with. Anyone able to help with troubleshooting?
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: A2200

Post by duerig »

I have A2200 cameras as well, but I have had much better luck using a Raspberry Pi to control them instead of trying to use a remote. You plug each of their USB cables into the Pi and then the Pi can remotely take the pictures and download them both into a single spot. I use Spreads myself, but somebody just posted another simple PHP script that provides a simple web interface just for capture as well.

The nice thing is that a Pi can be had for only $30 or $40 and all you need to make it run are an SD card, and a USB plugin for it.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

You can "build" a different sort of USB remote button to see if it's your button or your CHDK settings. Plug a USB power adapter into a power strip with an on/off switch, and flip the switch on, then off, to take a photo: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 890#p16890
stromateis

Post by stromateis »

If I remember correctly the remote setup is suppose to work off a change in voltage across the USB line. Best to take a voltmeter and place it across the remote and measure the output before and after the button is pushed to ensure you are creating the right differential.
rcull

Post by rcull »

It appears the first problem is there is an open on the ground side of my 4.5v battery box. That side has a little unknown box (unknown to me). I shall get another power box.

I may have done something or not. I did plug the camera usb into a 5v power source. Then with the camera running, I plugged in the 5v source the camera reacted, but did not take a picture in either the one or two push position. Could this be an indication that the chdk is the problem or maybe I just shouldn't worry about it until I get the power box back up and running.

Thanks for the help!
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

rcull wrote:I did plug the camera usb into a 5v power source. Then with the camera running, I plugged in the 5v source the camera reacted, but did not take a picture in either the one or two push position.
You have to give it power, and then remove it. It focuses when it senses power (like pushing the shutter button down halfway), and then takes the picture when power is removed (like pushing the shutter button down all the way). Hence using a power strip in my linked example, turning it on then turning it off.
rcull

Post by rcull »

Hurray!!! Progress!!!

Using vitorio's suggestion, I managed to get the cameras to shoot. I then hooked them back up to my system which uses 3 AA batteries and they also shot. I then tried a test scan. Sometimes the cameras fired, and sometimes they did not seem to. I am suspect of the button maybe not always making a good contact.

I placed one of the card in my computer and copied the images to a folder. I then went to delete them from the card and found that there does not seem to be an option to do this. It will not be convenient to have to delete the images one at a time in the camera! EDIT: OK, I figured out to get the options to cut or delete, you must unlock the card:)

It would seem that I will have to look at duerig's suggestion of trying Pi to control them. I have an older laptop running XP that I could designate to the job. I will get it tomorrow and attempt to set it up.

Any hints appreciated!

Thanks for the input