Nokia PureView 41MP

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

PocketLibrarian

Re: Nokia PureView 41MP

Post by PocketLibrarian »

Thank you for the quick concise reply!

"... "manual" focus mode, but you really have to prepare this..."
Does this mean more than selecting the manual focus option icon?

"... and make sure the full-resolution photos are actually in focus, can't trust the viewfinder."
What do you recommend especially in my 'dream' portable (inobtrusive self-contained) setup?

:"... Arduino or Raspberry ... actually find the antique Bluetooth adapter I'm using..."
Do you have a BOM (bill of materials) and assembly instructions that you would be willing to share?

OHhhh!
Does Camer Pro have script capability so that ultimately I could turn pages, press a button and have (manually pre-focused) images captured, like I do with my Hackerspace scanner?

Appreciatively,
PocketLibrarian
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

PocketLibrarian wrote: "... "manual" focus mode, but you really have to prepare this..."
Does this mean more than selecting the manual focus option icon?
The Camera Pro manual states, "Additionally it is possible to manually set the focus distance. But keep in mind that even if an image looks sharp on the small phone screen, it might be blurred in full resolution!"

In the Hackerspace or Archivist scanner, your camera is a fixed distance from your platen, so you could take a bunch of photos at different manual focus depths (it doesn't provide units) to find the right setting, and then just leave it there.

In a theoretical portable scanner where the camera might just be on a stand or something, with variable distance to the platen, you'd want to take a bunch of similar test shots, download them to a computer, and actually check them. Or, use the autofocus.
PocketLibrarian wrote: :"... Arduino or Raspberry ... actually find the antique Bluetooth adapter I'm using..."
Do you have a BOM (bill of materials) and assembly instructions that you would be willing to share?
No, that's what I was saying, I'd have to put that together. I don't have an ETA for that.
PocketLibrarian wrote: Does Camer Pro have script capability so that ultimately I could turn pages, press a button and have (manually pre-focused) images captured, like I do with my Hackerspace scanner?
It has Wifi or Bluetooth remote shutter control. The end result is the same: you either click a button on a web page, or press a button on a Bluetooth device, and both cameras take a photo at the same.

The easiest way to try it is to use Wifi control. Download this: http://www.tequnique.com/dl/camerapro/C ... l_v100.zip and open up "trigger_2_wp8.html" in a web browser. In CameraPro, open up Settings, go to the Remote tab, and turn on Wifi/WLAN. Take note of the IP address and port, and type them into the web page. That's it. Clicking the button on the web page will trigger both cameras.
PocketLibrarian

Vitorio,

Thank you for the html controls!!!!!

You mention a CameraPro manual. The only one I can find is very much a quick-start and doesn't include any info on the Wifi controls.
Would you be so kind to steer me to the link for this manual?

How do I 'save' the IP settings for my camera setup so the next time I open "camerapro_wp8.html" it will have the correct IP addresses of my Nokia 1020s retained?

I only get drips and drabs of time to work on this project but I am soooo EXCITED with the prospect of a small portable scanner!!!
(Another year or two and I will be living on a sailboat so space will be at a premium :-D)

Appreciatively,
Pocket Librarian
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

PocketLibrarian wrote:You mention a CameraPro manual. The only one I can find is very much a quick-start and doesn't include any info on the Wifi controls.
Would you be so kind to steer me to the link for this manual?
They're a little buried on the CameraPro site:

The Windows Phone 8 version manual: http://www.tequnique.com/wb/downloads/M ... latest.pdf

The technical manual about how the remote control works: http://www.tequnique.com/dl/camerapro/r ... p8_100.pdf
PocketLibrarian wrote:How do I 'save' the IP settings for my camera setup so the next time I open "camerapro_wp8.html" it will have the correct IP addresses of my Nokia 1020s retained?
Open up "camerapro_wp8.html" (for one camera) or "trigger_2_wp8.html" (for two cameras) in a plain text editor (like Notepad, not like Word) and look for the lines:

Code: Select all

<input name="ip" type="text" id="ip" value="192.168.3.5" />
There'll be one in the former, and two in the latter (the second line will have a different IP). Change the IP address between the "value=" quotes and that will change the default IP that the HTML page opens up with. (You'll still be able to change it live if your phone's IP address changes.)
PocketLibrarian

Vitorio,
Thank you!!
ndavidow

Post by ndavidow »

Update on this, I did some searching on Ebay and used Nokia 1020 with cracked display glass (but fully functional) are $70 in the US. I'd definitely like to see some analysis of the image quality versus the slightly cheaper 16mp Canon Powershot and more expensive DSLR and mirrorless cams. Might be a worthy middle ground.
PocketLibrarian

ndavidow wrote:Update on this, I did some searching on Ebay and used Nokia 1020 with cracked display glass (but fully functional) are $70 in the US. I'd definitely like to see some analysis of the image quality versus the slightly cheaper 16mp Canon Powershot and more expensive DSLR and mirrorless cams. Might be a worthy middle ground.
I've purchased two [Nokia] 1020s to utilize in this version of a book scanner.
I don't have a 16mp Canon Powershot, but two 18mp DSLRs.
Do we (DIY Bookscanner forum) have a standard test (or series of tests) that I could perform with my two camera types?
I would be glad to upload the results for evaluation.

I bought both of my Nokia 1020s for less than USD$50 (each) on ebay.
Both with cracked displays (which still work), I don't use (nor intend to) the phone functions.
Both cameras work well and the WiFi functions work too.
(Thank you again Vitorio for your great help in accessing these functions!!!)

There are a few things to be aware of...
1. the Windows 8.1 phone OS is very locked down so you can't just upload/download files unless using Windows computer/software.
(I run Linux boxes) So I have learned about Virtualbox and created a windows OS there to upload/download files.)
(you can transfer files via local WiFi but that is time consuming)
(USB transfer speed is much quicker)

2. there is no removable SD card which again was (I guess) Windows trying to keep their OS from being hacked.

3. I have not figured out the script for manual focus (is it metric,how to change to macro etc).
This is just an noob trying to figure out the powerful tool in my hand.

4. Let me know what tests to perform and format to upload for the community and I will gladly do so for your evaluation.

Pocket Libarian
dpc

Post by dpc »

2. there is no removable SD card which again was (I guess) Windows trying to keep their OS from being hacked.
A number of Windows Phones have SD card slots so the lack of one on the 1020 probably was an attempt to reduce cost, or if you're a conspiracy theorist, to get people to use Microsoft's One Drive cloud storage service.
PocketLibrarian

But how many phones have 41 mp capacity?
Especially in such a nice compact package! :-)

Not a conspiracy theorist just understand various 'security risks' of multiple ports and prefer open systems or at least those that allow end-users more flexibility in using any given tools beyond the designer's original intent.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

How slow is wifi? How much time does it take to transfer one 41mp photo as a jpeg? What about as a raw image?

Would it help if there were a Windows Phone app to help manage things? Could a Windows Phone app directly transfer things over USB to a LInux box? Are there any adapters to let the phones act as USB hosts themselves? That might let you mount a thumb drive or an SD card reader as your storage. But I don't know enough about the Windows Phone ecosystem to know.

-D