Scan Tailor "Experimental"

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

victoriaaustralia
E-book readers owned: newton
Number of books owned: 2

Re: Scan Tailor "Experimental"

Post by victoriaaustralia »

Thanks Tulon, nice work. I'll have a trial.
Freeware Windows workflow in 2020
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3620
reproman
E-book readers owned: 8 kindles
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by reproman »

After removing previous 64 bit and installing latest on 9-8-15 I get message (missing MSVCR120D.ddl)
program not working
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Tulon »

reproman wrote:After removing previous 64 bit and installing latest on 9-8-15 I get message (missing MSVCR120D.ddl)
program not working
Sorry, my bad. The dependencies got built in debug mode after updating Qt to 5.5. I'll update the release after rebuilding everything.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Release updated. Use the same link.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
b0bcat

Post by b0bcat »

Thanks for the up.

I tried the x64 version on a Windows 7 SP1 laptop with 6GB memory but after having selected content and while I was exploring margins options, it crashed and wouldn't recover. I'd saved the project up to then, but decided for my limited needs I'd probably stick pro tem. with the plain vanilla edition v0.9.11.1 32-bit.

The main reason is that occasionally (as in the test here), in one project, I may scan a few pages of smaller typeface (usually an index or suchlike) in 400dpi as opposed to my conventional 300dpi, and with v0.9.11.1 it outputs all the project as pages of uniform size, saved as 300dpi and 400dpi respectively, without altering for relative size of content on any particular page or dpi variations (or seems to, anyway!). I might have found the right margins option in 'Experimental' to emulate v0.9.11.1's behaviour but ran out of time for the moment.

By the way, the install routine of 'Experimental' seems to overwrite any Start menu entries already existing for e.g. v0.9.11.1. Consider installing with a separate Start menu group for 'Experimental'(?) As far as I recall it installed the program files to a differently named folder, but after testing I deleted all my versions and reinstalled v0.9.11.1.

Overall I find the GUI v0.9.11.1 rock solid and adequate for my needs, save for the infuriating 'aura' effect of applying equalization automatically in mixed mode pages. I see someone has done a 'quick fix' for this problem by disabling equalization in mixed mode:
https://github.com/scantailor/scantailor/pull/151

If anyone here has the means of compiling and posting a 32-bit Windows binary of v0.9.11.1 to include this patch it would surely be worth $10 in a tipjar somewhere, as in my experience this is the only insurmountable and material functional issue with v0.9.11.1 GUI; the deluge of function change requests in the current developer stream combined with lack of resources there suggests no fix in the foreseeable.
0kelvin

Post by 0kelvin »

What is this???
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Scan Tailor wasn't designed to work with light text on a dark background, though the "Color / Grayscale" mode with illumination equalization disabled should still work.
0kelvin

Post by 0kelvin »

So this explains my previous issue. Some books have very dark pictures on some pages, or dark boxes with light text. In mixed mode those areas happen to be partially erased the same way that dark page with white text above was.
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

A new release of Scan Tailor Experimental has arrived.
There weren't many changes since the last one. Mostly stability improvements for dewarping.
d14b0ll0s
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by d14b0ll0s »

Thanks, Tulon!
Any news on the OS X port maybe?