Need some help to identify the bolts

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Corentin
Number of books owned: 0

Need some help to identify the bolts

Post by Corentin »

Hello,
I'm an architecture student in Belgium (EU). I fortuitously found this site and the community… and I think it's really cool, you make an amazing job here ! With some friends we're sure that building a bookscanner can serve us and many people around us.

We decided to build one, the archivist, wich seems perfect for us. I've started to gather the pieces for a few weeks. I also plan to help back the project and create a blog :
— to speak about the project in french
— to help people with US <->EU conventions and pieces
— to share our hacks
—…

But for the moment, I have some problem to identify a few bolts. Can someone help me ?

1. The 1/4 20 50mm furniture bolt — 4mm hex key (folowing this page)
length = 50mm ok
I don't get the diameter. Am I ok with the M6 system ?

2. Furniture cross dowel
same question (M6 ok?)
how long is the dowel ?

3. Eye bolts and nuts 10/24 & Acom nut 10/24
wich diameter ?

4. M8 cross dowel
how long is the dowel ?

I'm sorry if this questions are abvious but I'm not used with the us conventions.

Corentin
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Need some help to identify the bolts

Post by duerig »

Here are some answers:

1) You can sub M6 to replace the furniture bolts. 10 of the furniture bolts are used to secure the aluminum tubes (cradle runners, base bars, handlebar). This means that the insertion nuts you put at the ends of these tunes must have m6 threads. In addition, the heads of the screws that connect the cradle runners must be flush with the surrounding wood. Furniture bolts are very low profile, so they can be countersunk with a shallow hole. You will want low profile m6 bolts for the cradle runners for the same reason.

The other 8 furniture bolts go right into cross dowels, so you can just swap m6 cross dowels and that should work.

2) and 4) the length of the cross dowels doesn't need to be precise. Just make sure it isn't longer than the plywood is thick (18mm).

3) The eye bolts go through the handlebar. So you can just size them to the holes you drill in the handlebar. Other than that, as long as the acorn nuts and eye bolts and eyebolt nuts are all the same thread it doesn't matter.

Also, FYI, the US conventions don't make much sense to most of us in the US either. :-)

-D
markvdb

Post by markvdb »

Hello Corentin,
Corentin wrote:Hello,
I'm an architecture student in Belgium (EU). I fortuitously found this site and the community… and I think it's really cool, you make an amazing job here ! With some friends we're sure that building a bookscanner can serve us and many people around us.
But for the moment, I have some problem to identify a few bolts. Can someone help me ?
You're always welcome to drop by my personal place in Leuven, Belgium, and have a look at one live. That should both solve your practical problem and give you a better idea of the project overall. Just drop me an email.

Kind regards,

Mark
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter
Corentin

Post by Corentin »

@duerig : thank you, it's clearer for me now ! I'll use metric system pieces only (the insertion nuts for the tubes are not a problem for me, i plan to 3D-print them)
@markvdb : cool! I PM you…
ilmarmors

Post by ilmarmors »

@Corentin I'm using threaded inserts from http://specialinsert.it

1. 25x25mm square tube with 1.5mm thick wall (Cradle Runners) - ITQ2S/M 6/22.1
2. 30x30mm square tube with 2.0mm thick wall (Base Bars) - ITQ2S/M 6/26.0
3. For Handlebar I'm using 40mm round Sapa profile with 1.7mm thick wall and place for M6 furniture screw in center (no need for inserts).

All aluminum parts are anodized and looks nice. You can see picture - http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =28&t=3230

Somehow I doubt that 3D-printing inserts for tubes is good idea from functional and financial perspective. You need to print in metal and it must be elastic and strong and with sharp edges at the same time that really won't let that insert to be pulled out when you tighten screw.

I ordered inserts above from specialinsert.it in bulk, so I can sell them, if you need, in small quantities. If you find it more convenient for you, I can sell also all aluminum parts (3 above + Glass Brackets).

Possible alternative source for threaded inserts is essentracomponents.fi (they have sites in other countries too), but I went with specialinsert.it ones because I wanted to have M6 inserts for bigger tube.

I found source for threaded inserts in USA too - http://www.carpin.com/tubeconnectors.htm Although they have inserts with M6 thread in catalog, but I guess they sell only in bulk. For my question about buying M6 inserts and shipping to Europe, they redirected me to http://www.superior-components.com/tube_connectors.htm . Unfortunately there wasn't any M6 thread inserts in Superior Components page and my email about M6 was missed or ignored.
Let me know, if you are interested to get F608ZZ, anti-reflective glass, QLV-1 MR16 GX5.3 socket holders or other Archivist components in Europe.
Corentin

Post by Corentin »

I found all the parts for my bookscanner except one : the lenticular 10lpi sheet. :x
Do you know where I can buy it in Europe without buying the entire stock ? :x :x :x
markvdb

Post by markvdb »

Hey Corentin,

We had a hard search for this material in small quantities too. I just sent you an email so we can work something out.

Kind regards,

Mark
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter