Automated Book Scanner - ?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

Souxsie

Automated Book Scanner - ?

Post by Souxsie »

Hi All -

I'm new to this community, and am so glad to have found these forums. Awesome!

I found these forums when I was watching this video (the forum is linked in a video): http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/13/3639 ... vacuum-diy

As you might expect if you clicked that link, I am interested in building / buying an automated scanner (without spending upwards of $60k for a commercial buy). Can someone point me in the right direction? I know there are some open source plans out there, just hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!

PS: I see a lot of references to cradle / archivists models on this site, I hope the automated models aren't viewed as heresy :)
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Automated Book Scanner - ?

Post by duerig »

There are a number of people who have been developing designs for automated book scanners. Dany, the one who developed the linear book scanner you read about, is still actively working on it. I'm sure that he will post here and on his site when he has more to show. In the mean time, you can see the iterations he has published already and possibly start ordering parts yourself if you want to try to build one:

https://linearbookscanner.org/designs/

There are at least a couple of other people in the forums who have worked on automated designs. As far as I know, they are not ready for release yet. It is a pretty tough thing to do, especially if you want to be able to scan all kinds of books both small and large.

A big reason why a lot of the talk here is about cradles and Archivists is because those are the problems that we have solved pretty well already. But it really neat to see new designs that break the mold as well.

-Jonathon Duerig