OSX MacOS. Sierra Scantailor

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

jaffamuffin
Number of books owned: 0

OSX MacOS. Sierra Scantailor

Post by jaffamuffin »

Hi All

Has anyone got any recent binaries, or a how to on compiling it for MacOS. I've read the four but most links I follow are dead, and most discussion took place 5+ years ago. Is there anything happening recently on this ?

I just got a shiny new fast Macintosh and would really like to have had the power of scan tailor available to me. Is it a case of running in a windows VM then ?
zbgns
E-book readers owned: Tolino, Kindle
Number of books owned: 600

Re: OSX MacOS. Sierra Scantailor

Post by zbgns »

Hi jaffamuffin,

There is a wiki on building Scan Tailor from source (Linux and Mac OS X) under this link:
https://github.com/scantailor/scantailo ... d-Mac-OS-X

I have experiences with building ST (Experimental Branch) on Linux only, but I suppose it should not be more difficult on Mac OS. It seems to be much better option than running VM and windows version of ST on the top of it.
louiscan

Post by louiscan »

I can't comment on other branches of ScanTailor, but for those interested in using ScanTailor Experimental (aka STE: Tulon's fork that has improvements on a number of levels) on MacOS, there "shouldn't" be major problems compiling it, as I've done it a number of times successfully. The dependencies for STE are different than for older branches for which the wiki is written, so those directions aren't necessarily going to help.

Here are the steps that worked for me. If you try them and it doesn't work, go ahead and reply here and perhaps we can get a working set of MacOS install directions for STE. I tested these running MacOS Sierra 10.12.4.

1) Grab the source code and unzip, from:
https://github.com/Tulon/scantailor/tree/experimental

2) Make sure you have homebrew installed.
https://brew.sh

3) Using homebrew, install the following dependencies:

Code: Select all

brew install cmake eigen qt5 jpeg libtiff boost
* For future reference: when I tested this, homebrew installed the following versions of these packages:
cmake (3.8.0), eigen (3.3.3), qt5 (5.8.0_2), jpeg (8d), libtiff (4.0.7_3), boost (1.64.0_1)

4) Within the directory scantailor-experimental, run:

cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.8.0_2 
* If this command runs successfully without producing errors, it should end with something like:

- Configuring done 
- Generating done 
* If it didn't run successfully, it should give you information on what happened: perhaps a missing dependency, if (for example) you aren't using homebrew and/or don't have the correct versions of the libraries.
* If cmake complains that it cannot find QtCore, then you need to adjust the CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH from what I've given above to where QtCore is on your system. This will definitely be the case if you have installed Qt5 in a manner other than using homebrew. Likewise, if homebrew installed a different version, you'll obviously have to adjust the path accordingly. Wherever it is, you need to provide the path for cmake to find it. Worst case scenario, break out Spotlight and dig around for a while.

5) Run:

make 

6) Then, as long as it compiled successfully,

sudo make install 
* This will allow you to launch STE from the Terminal (scantailor), but assembling a package that appears as a nice ScanTailor.app in your Applications folder is a whole different thing.
robertlaing
E-book readers owned: kindle, android

Post by robertlaing »

i followed your writing, compilation went fine (same version number of all packages), but i cannot open any jpeg file.
what's wrong, linking with jpeg library?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.33.26.png
Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 11.33.26.png (33.76 KiB) Viewed 22347 times
louiscan

Post by louiscan »

Can we try to verify that you are compiling while pointing to the jpeg 8d libraries that homebrew installed and not some other version? After the successful cmake run, try looking in CMakeCache.txt in scantailor-experimental/ and find JPEG_INCLUDE_DIR and JPEG_LIBRARY. What are those paths? Are they pointing to what homebrew installed? Are there multiple versions of libjpeg.h or libjpeg.dylib in either location?

If that doesn't turn up anything helpful, you could try installing a newer version and use it explicitly:

brew install jpeg@9 
* It will install but not symlink, so that it won't conflict with the other jpeg package. However, homebrew will tell you where to find the header and library, and you can then tell cmake explicitly where to find them.

* For example, the above command yields:

This is an alternate version of another formula.

If you need to have this software first in your PATH run:
  echo 'export PATH="/usr/local/opt/jpeg@9/bin:$PATH"' >> ~/.bash_profile

For compilers to find this software you may need to set:
    LDFLAGS:  -L/usr/local/opt/jpeg@9/lib
    CPPFLAGS: -I/usr/local/opt/jpeg@9/include

So run:

cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.8.0_2/ -DJPEG_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/opt/jpeg\@9/include/ -DJPEG_LIBRARY=/usr/local/opt/jpeg\@9/lib/libjpeg.9.dylib 
robertlaing
E-book readers owned: kindle, android

Post by robertlaing »

thanks, it was linking the system libraries for jpeg and tiff
i managed to compile in this way:

cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.8.0_2   -DJPEG_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/Cellar/jpeg/8d/include/ -DJPEG_LIBRARY=/usr/local/Cellar/jpeg/8d/lib/libjpeg.8.dylib -DTIFF_INCLUDE_DIR=/usr/local/Cellar/libtiff/4.0.7_3/include/ -DTIFF_LIBRARY=/usr/local/Cellar/libtiff/4.0.7_3/lib/libtiff.5.dylib
everything works fine, i tried also enabling acceleration with OPENGL or OPENCL. result: the system crashed badly.
but generally this experimental build is faster than the last stable scantailor

thanks
La_Tristesse

Post by La_Tristesse »

I followed your instructions but doing so gives an eror:

$ cmake . -DCMAKE_PREFIX_PATH=/usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.8.0_2
-- Boost version: 1.64.0
-- Found unsuitable Qt version "5.8.0" from /usr/local/Cellar/qt/5.8.0_2/bin/qmake
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:124 (MESSAGE):
  Qt4 could not be found.  If it's installed in a non-standard location,
  specify the path to qmake in QT_QMAKE_EXECUTABLE.  You can do it in
  interactive mode (ccmake instead of cmake) or using -DVAR=VAL syntax.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!
See also "XXX/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
Do I have to install qt4?
louiscan

Post by louiscan »

Which version of Scantailor are you trying to install? The directions I posted work for Scantailor Experimental (STE), which shouldn't need Qt4. I'd recommend using STE - the link to the code is at the top.
La_Tristesse

Post by La_Tristesse »

Never mind. I'm sorry. I checked out the wrong git repository.
louiscan

Post by louiscan »

No problem - glad it works (hopefully)!