Using STICK to install CHDK on 2 cards for Canon A810. How to make one card for the left camera and one for the right?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

barth
Number of books owned: 0

Using STICK to install CHDK on 2 cards for Canon A810. How to make one card for the left camera and one for the right?

Post by barth »

Hello, I've decided to revive my book scanner project by recreating the configuration I had a couple of years ago. Since then I have replaced one of my camera's and now I'd like to reinstall chdk on both my camera's with STICK. I recall that there has to be a distinction made between the chdk settings for the left camera (which shoots first) and those for the right one but I don't remember how that is done. I have done a web search and a forum search to no avail. Is there anyone here who could point me in the right direction? Thank you.
IMG_20150201_134015.jpg
IMG_20150201_134015.jpg (91.17 KiB) Viewed 8241 times
[/img]
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Using STICK to install CHDK on 2 cards for Canon A810. How to make one card for the left camera and one for the righ

Post by duerig »

The distinction between left/right (even/odd) was kept on the SD card of the camera when using Spreads. In this case, after using STICK to install, you will want to create a text file on the SD card. The file is called 'OWN.TXT' and contains just the word 'even' or just the word 'odd'. It should exist on the root of the SD card.

If you are using Pi Scan (which is a project that grew up out of Spreads), this is much simplified. When you take your refocus/test shot, you will see a preview which shows both pages. If the pages are upside down and backwards, you tap swap. From then on, it will know which page is which. In the case of Pi Scan, the information is stored on the external storage device in a separate directory from your images.

In general, I recommend using Pi Scan over Spreads, especially if you are running on a Raspberry Pi. Spreads has not been updated for some time and may not be stable, especially on more recent Raspberry Pi iterations. However, the drawback of Pi Scan is that it is tied explicitly to the Raspberry Pi hardware. While Spreads can run on laptops or other Linux devices.

-Jonathon Duerig
barth

Re: Using STICK to install CHDK on 2 cards for Canon A810. How to make one card for the left camera and one for the righ

Post by barth »

Thanks!
barth

Post by barth »

duerig wrote: 09 Sep 2017, 12:24 The distinction between left/right (even/odd) was kept on the SD card of the camera when using Spreads. In this case, after using STICK to install, you will want to create a text file on the SD card. The file is called 'OWN.TXT' and contains just the word 'even' or just the word 'odd'. It should exist on the root of the SD card.

If you are using Pi Scan (which is a project that grew up out of Spreads), this is much simplified. When you take your refocus/test shot, you will see a preview which shows both pages. If the pages are upside down and backwards, you tap swap. From then on, it will know which page is which. In the case of Pi Scan, the information is stored on the external storage device in a separate directory from your images.

In general, I recommend using Pi Scan over Spreads, especially if you are running on a Raspberry Pi. Spreads has not been updated for some time and may not be stable, especially on more recent Raspberry Pi iterations. However, the drawback of Pi Scan is that it is tied explicitly to the Raspberry Pi hardware. While Spreads can run on laptops or other Linux devices.

-Jonathon Duerig

Thanks for explaining. On the Github page for Pi Scan it says Pi Scan supports Canon PowerShot A2500 and Canon PowerShot ELPH/IXUS 160 cameras.
Does this mean I can't use my Powershot A810 cameras with Pi Scan? (current hardware is those 2 camera's, A Raspberry Pi 2, a router and a foot pedal).
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

Your A810 cameras have a good chance of working. The difference is that I have A2500 and ELPH 160 cameras on hand and have tested them. So I am much more confident that they will work and I can more easily reproduce and fix any issue that does arise. In addition, I have crafted images that are known to work with them (no need to use STICK or detect firmware). So if somebody doesn't have any cameras, I'd point them to one of those two models as the ones to get.

But since you already have a pair of A810 cameras on hand, then just try them out. Any CHDK model has a good chance of working.

-Jonathon Duerig
barth

Post by barth »

Thanks!