"Selecting Content" and then constructing pages in step "Margins"

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

"Selecting Content" and then constructing pages in step "Margins"

Post by L.Willms »

I am using ScanTailor Advanced (64 bit) version 1.0.14

In step 4 "Select Content" I want to be able to tell ScanTailor the size of the print area in pixels, the with and height of it, and let the software search and try to find areas of the page which fit into this print area, instead of ScanTailor trying the best guess separately for each and every page.

In ABBYY FineReader OCR I can define a Region and apply it to all or a selected range of pages, but this often fails, since ABBYY places this region on all pages at exactly the same position of the page. But in the case of scanned pages, the print area might not be at the same pixel position in the image file, but will vary.

What I want is that ScanTailor <i>searches</i> for an area on the page which fits in the content box predefined with the number of pixels of width and and height.

And that content box should be moveable on the page as a whole, not just by moving the borders.

The "Alignment" option in step 5 "Margins" is not very helpful, since this moves the content box to the very top of the page disregarding the margins.

In setp 5 "Margins" I would like to have the means to define the size of the resulting page, and the margins within that page. ScanTailor then may place the content box inside those margins.

ScanTailor Advanced introduced in step 4 "Select Content" a new concept, the "Page Box". I had tried it once, but could not get along with it, and I am still at odds to understand what it was meant to be or represent. I admit that I have not (yet) read the corresponding documentation. I have up to now simply avoided it.
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: "Selecting Content" and then constructing pages in step "Margins"

Post by Konos93a »

can you upload a page that you scanned ?
L.Willms

Post by L.Willms »

Konos93a wrote: 08 Jun 2018, 21:58 can you upload a page that you scanned ?
I have composed an image which shows the three main types of pages of a book which I had scanned -- blurred because Scan Tailor also does not read the text itself.

Those four pages could occur in that sequence:
1. a regular text page with a page header including the page number,
2. the page with the end of a chapter
3. the beginning of a new chapter, which has a bigger padding on top, and is somewhat deeper because the page number is underneath the regular bottom of the text area
4. another regular text area

The blue lines mark the upper and lower bounds of the print area.
The pink rectangle a content box which would fit all types of pages, i.e. also those beginning a new chapter.
Different types of pages
Different types of pages
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

can you upload this pages on imgur and copy paste the link for forums?

print screen the images in original size please
4lex4
Number of books owned: 0

Post by 4lex4 »

Upload the full scans of these four images in order to make a project file with the solution.

I'm working on the new STA version 1.0.15 that will have the guides feature directly relating to your problem. This feature is already done and available in the 'develop' branch for building. But I think there are yet other ways to solve your problem but I need the source scans.
L.Willms

Post by L.Willms »

4lex4 wrote: 12 Jun 2018, 13:17
I'm working on the new STA version 1.0.15 that will have the guides feature directly relating to your problem.
That URL leads not to some text explaining that feature.

That said, could you please say here some words on this "page box" feature, and possibly also about those "guides"?

Regarding the original scans, I have sent a private message to you.
4lex4
Number of books owned: 0

Post by 4lex4 »

L.Willms, if the source scans have black borders, enable auto page box at the 4th stage, if not, disable that.
At the 5th stage use auto/original alignment mode or use the manual one, correcting it for each problem page via the arrows.

If you provide some examples it'd be easier to help you.