a small story for my scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: a small story for my scanner

Post by Konos93a »

https://github.com/bricelam/ImageResizer nice tool that i use with scan tailor if the book have shapes ,tables ,drawings that have bigger width than main contect
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

---notes i repost this on chdk

format sd card fat 32 ,copy paste a3300 -c version

have your sd card locked
power on camera with <alt> button
go to Menu - > Tools - > go down an update firmware
After the CHDK logo briefly displays, start CHDK by using the <ALT> key sequence for your camera.
Enter the CHDK menu, and select Miscellaneous stuff -'> SD Card' -> Make Card Bootable

to see how many photos your camera has captured
have your sd card unlocked
power on camera with <alt> button
press <alt> again so you can see an captured image
press <set> and <display> to see your chdk needed version and press one more <display> so you can see how many photo shots you have without letting <set> button
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

Based on Bill gill idea i put on the chair a light

i will add video using it when i can with subtitles .

if you see from the screen in the middle the lens of the camera that means you have 90 ankle with the glass.like you close one eye and watch you eye in a mirror it means you are perfectly opposite .

i was using abbyy finereader 12 straighten text line command .that mean 6 more steps in my method or 40 more minutes for a 600 pages book. the trick with the mirror helps me reduce the procession time of the images with a 2 camera diybookscanner so i think (did not test it yet) need almost 2 hours to capture photo and digitilize a 600 pages book in best cases.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

1it cost me less than 10 euro
2it can go about 8 with 9 pages per minute . 500 pages per hour in best cases.
3every page has almost the same ankle with the light source . (in 2 cameras diybookscanner this is stable )
4you can calibrate the perfect ankle between glass and camera lens with the mirror trick. (in 2 cameras diybookscanner this is also stable )
5i am using a audio trigger from selfie stick . The bluetooth trigger has compatibility issues after a lot a pages or if for any reason i stop scan when i begin i have connect them again and recalibrate glass-lens ankle.
6 you can change between glass -lens the distance and keep it stable .

if you finish the scanned book , have already a usb cable connected only in smartphone. then connected on a laptop and take the capture pages to check them. that's why if you put out the smartphone from the selfie stick smartphone case , copy pages to your pc you will need to put it back and capture the missed pages. so the distance or the position of the lens will change .check exactly where you put your smartphone every time.( in 2 cameras diybookscanner use sd card cable to avoid that) .

also you can find which is the best glass-lens distance with abbyfinereader. there is a command detect optimal resolution. the more it gives you the better the image. if you have a 2 camera diybookscanner the cropped images even or odd should have the same size. my images usualy are 510 or 540 suggested dpi i can go better (640 ) but i have light problems and need to change other camera position . so i let it just more that 500 and cropped pages on the same size for the context of the page. scan tailor experimental rescale them on the same size but odd or ever pages will have darker letters if you have much different lens-glass distance on your cameras. more than 300 suggested dpi gives you he same ocr results . more than 500 suggested dpi looks the same with for your eyes .

7 you can change perfect where the camera centre . before you start to capture a book change this distance with the screws , so lens focus on the centre of the context. use white tape on the glass on the top and the bottom of the page and try to keep it there all the pages .

8 try the smartphone case from the selfie stick be stable. if it turns centre of the content where lens focus change , glass-lens distance change
9 in a 80 pages book i have one blurred pages .
10 you can move it in librarys but try a dark environment to scan
11most important . try not to watch the light source while you scan. put a paper so you don't have light in your view. dude seriously is kind of trippy to watch a light source all the time.

i became kinda obsessed with distance and mirror ankles because if you fix the mechanic part which is the challenge .
-how to stabilize yours camera in the perfect position and how to find that- you spend less time for a better digitalize of your books.

its took me 6 steps to edit images with abbyfinereader . its the only program with the command straight text line massively .now i use only scan tailor to edit images. that means for 600 pages 40 minutes less for the processes of the images. i wanted command straight text line inside scan tailor . but the solution its mechanic . thank you whoever you are guy or girl with the mirror trick.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

i will put one more wooden stick to get it more stable , this white wodden squares have and audio trigger from selfie stick. i also added a black sprayed mate cardboard on the bottom for reflections

i connect the pc with my smartphone using google app vysor . the same time i can see or trasfer files to my pc , charge smartphone and liveview
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

mohib scanner

billgillscanner Image

danielscanner Image

created with autodesk inventor 14 pro if you ever gonna build something based on this designs contact me
https://www.dropbox.com/s/npjqglm1r0464 ... r.rar?dl=0
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

if you ever gonna build something based on this designs contact me
Why would someone need to contact you?

BTW, that "billgill" design came from another user on this site many years ago. Bill has actually come up with a new design of his own that is a vertical rectangular tube with the platen at the top, camera at the bottom, pointing up, and lights on the sides.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

because there is some details on this designs that are not shown or have a little distance with the real ones .i am not very good designer so i didn't involve them but with sending photos i can show them .

on mohib scanner the way i build the glass or use the dvd rom
on billgill the way that camera go up or down to fit in the centre of the book
on daniel how i fit the books on the glass or some improvements for easier built with only a hand saw and a drill

honestly don't know which user billgill design is .

i suggest contact because i can offer informations that can help new builders to get over the theirs stucks

personally , except one of the best line in my cv, i have no other financial interests
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

honestly don't know which user billgill design is .
That user is JThomas. The scanner was first described by him in this post from 2012.

Bill's new "Tower" scanner was described in this thread.