Holy crap! My building collapsed!

Whatever.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Holy crap! My building collapsed!

Post by daniel_reetz »

The building I work/study in at NDSU has partially collapsed, trashing my office and my stuff completely.

http://www.danreetz.com/blog/2009/12/28 ... l-at-ndsu/

I discovered this after arriving home yesterday, just after a long week at home with family, one of my family members has cancer. :\

:(
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Holy crap! My building collapsed!

Post by rob »

:( I hope you can recover all your stuffs.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

Dan, what do you need most first? What is not insured?

As for the cancer, I've had it. Same with my parents. The medical science has been steadily improving. Chemo, for me, felt like having the flu for six months, a lot less painful than my dad and a whole lot less painful than my mom. Anti-nausea meds are pretty good. My biggest complaint was hiccups. I'll never begrudge the drug companies' any profits they want, if they can pour some of that cash into research. Most important thing someone with the disease can do is maintain a positive mental attitude.

When I went into surgery, I had Baptist, Catholic, Jewish, and Buddhist friends praying for me, and an atheist thinking good thoughts. Though you could argue the theology, nobody could doubt my friends cared. I'll be praying for you and your family.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks for the encouraging words re: cancer. I'm cautiously optimistic that it won't be too bad, though it will probably eat the remains of my dad's retirement.

Thankfully I have backups of everything that was on my computer in Minard, and scans of most of the books. I lost some, but they are not mission-critical for my thesis work. My personal possessions in there were mostly low-value books, papers, and small electronics. The University has not yet made a statement on insurance/damages, and I strongly doubt I will get anything that way or get anything back. Fortunately, my experimental apparatus is in an adjacent part of the building and though I haven't been able to get in and see it, I suspect it's alright.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

2009 is just not letting go. At 10:30 today there was a forum about the building collapse. I asked some pretty harsh questions and got the usual non-answers. Driving home, some chick from Montana rear-ended me, trashing the bumper of my car.

My parents want me to drive back to Bismarck; I suspect if I do so I will die. In that unlucky circumstance -- Rob, the forum is all yours, man. :)
DSpider

Post by DSpider »

Luckily you weren't in it when it went collapsed.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

Hey, this might be a blessing in disguise. Obviously, your office is trashed. So are the offices of all your colleagues. This means there's going to be some mega-sweet dumpster diving when the construction workers dismantle/repair your building.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

daniel_reetz wrote:My parents want me to drive back to Bismarck; I suspect if I do so I will die. In that unlucky circumstance -- Rob, the forum is all yours, man. :)
Don't give me any ideas! :lol:
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Hasher

Post by Hasher »

Dan you havent been conducting some sort of evil experiment i hope ;-)