another build

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

possum

another build

Post by possum »

Hi all,

here's my build effort. I was considering guillotining the spine off my 5th book for scanning and went googling to see if there was a better way. After finding Daniel's instructable and this forum, it seemed a bit of work now could be a very worthwhile investment. (The guillotined books were replaceable paperback textbooks, in case anyone's horrified. Still, I totally hate doing it.) The object was to make something useable and reasonably sturdy with as little effort and expense as possible. Initial construction took about a day - that is, a Sunday, not 24 man-hours. Then, say, another day fixing up the lighting, reflections and gutter.
whole2.JPG
whole2.JPG (90.66 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
It only does one page at a time, though as you can see, could probably be modified to do two. The construction is masonite and glass for the book surfaces, 17mm mdf for the sides and pine for the battens. All the joints used plastic jointing blocks screwed into the pine and bolted through the mdf. There's even some carbon fibre! hi-tech. That's two 5mm rods across the apex to add a bit of support to the glass and masonite, though it might not really be necessary. I initially used 12mm aluminium angle but found it too wide in combination with the thickness of the masonite, so it occluded some of the book text. The carbon fibre rod is just what the hobby store had that seemed suitable.
front.JPG
front.JPG (117.57 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
At first I planned to use a clip-on halogen for lighting, but that had lousy colour and distribution. Then I tried a clip-on fluoro which was a lot better but too long and appeared in reflection. Then I found a straight flouro at the hardware which was the perfect size. It had great colour and distribution but shone on the rear pine battens and made them appear in the reflection. So, lastly I put in another batten to mount the flouro, screwed on some textured aluminium sheet as reflectors and gave most of the inside a coat of matt black paint. I'm pretty pleased with that.
light_dtl.JPG
light_dtl.JPG (85.71 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
This is where the camera goes. (Obviously not at the moment coz I'm using it to take the photo.) It's just a hole through the batten with a 1" screw through - amazingly, the camera mounting thread is a standard size. I put a patch of vinyl on top as well because it wasn't quite snug. If I need to centre the camera on another page size, I'll drill more holes in the mdf and raise or lower the batten.
rear.JPG
rear.JPG (121.44 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
The clips for the glass and masonite are bits of aluminium angle, drilled and bolted. That was a bit laborious and I'm sure could be done more simply. That's what I had lying around though, and it helps with another objective of making the whole thing as deconstructible as possible in the event of mods or moving.
whole.JPG
whole.JPG (83.74 KiB) Viewed 13037 times
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Re: another build

Post by IcantRead »

Wow this is a really nice simple build. I'm a big fan of it.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

This thing is totally sweet! Great job!

Couple-o-thoughts...
- amazingly, the camera mounting thread is a standard size.
As far as I know, all cameras are 1/4" 20 thread, except for very large ones that are the same as a 3/8" bolt. This is great in the US but sucks abroad. :)

I would love to see a shot of this scanner in action -- it's a very pleasing shape/design. If you have the time, a mirror, or a friend or whatever, that would really seal the deal.

What are those awesome little white angle things you used to construct it? What section of the hardware store has them?
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

And if you get tired of book scanning, your dog gets a new house with a skylight...
possum

Post by possum »

Wow, I'm totally stoked you like it. The plastic things were in the cabinet fittings section, with all the hinges and brackets and whatever. Actually, I had those lying around from years ago but they'd have to still make them. They're great for knocking something up like this. I left my mobile at work or else I'd get a working photo now. Will follow up.
possum

Post by possum »

working pics
Image014_1.jpg
Image014_1.jpg (79.51 KiB) Viewed 12938 times
Image012_1.jpg
Image012_1.jpg (94.63 KiB) Viewed 12938 times
Image011_1.jpg
Image011_1.jpg (89.71 KiB) Viewed 12938 times
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

How do you like that angled viewfinder? I've often thought about picking one up.
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

Any problems with books with tight bindings?
possum

Post by possum »

I'd rate the viewfinder so-so overall, but excellent for this particular application. As you can see, it'd be a tedious business to focus and align without it. It's an aftermarket 'Seagull' brand cheapy (comparatively -$80AU). An oem one would probably be terrific but they seem to either hard to get and expensive, or not available at all. This one diminishes the image size noticeably and maybe has a bit of distortion, but it's surprisingly crisp and allows good focusing. I'd say the small image actually helps with alignment because it's easy to see the whole frame at once.

This is the only book I've tried scanning so far but it's a reasonable test case. The gutters are quite narrow and it's new so the bindings are fairly tight. I found it needs a little push to get it in there, but it's presumably the same with any system - the choice is to either press the page flat and traumatize the bindings a bit, or else have output that's not flat. The thickness of the masonite and the ridge support could be a problem if I had a book with really narrow gutters. In that case, I'd consider swapping out the masonite for aluminium or stainless steel (nice!). Now that you mention it, a 45 degree chamfer on the masonite might be a bit more binding-friendly.