Musinf Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Musinf

Re: Musinf Book Scanner

Post by Musinf »

Benjamin, thank you for your answer. I continue to cogitate for light... It's a very hard question for me !
My bookscanner will be sponsored by a company which is interested by the concept for archival (I confess, it's the family business). If my prototype is good, they will construct a model for us. So, I take this opportunity to invest in good quality materials.
SO !!! THIS IS THE FINAL IMAGES FOR PRINCIPAL STRUCTURE. I will use aluminium tubes (25*25mm) with special connections (not at all expensive). The assembly will be really easy and very strong ! I have a much difficulties to imagine how to install cameras... :oops:
Image_28.jpg
Image_28.jpg (17.06 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
Image_29.jpg
Image_29.jpg (22.67 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
Image_30.jpg
Image_30.jpg (26.98 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
Image_31.jpg
Image_31.jpg (17.94 KiB) Viewed 10031 times
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

What is your over all dimensions? What size glass are you using, and what angle is it at? I want to make a mock up of it so that I can better understand your design.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Musinf

Post by Musinf »

Click here and here to download the plan of the platen and the aluminium assembly. I will use an angle of 90° for the glass. The dimension of aluminium assembly will be determined by the installation of the linear guides, it's for this reason you find dimension like 614.97mm.
Say me if you want other plans.
Afish

Post by Afish »

I like your idea of using linear rails rather than drawer slides. I have a bunch of high quality drawer slides but opted to buy to two 3/8" linear rods and two 3/8' linear bearings. Total cost $40. You can mount a linear bearing by drilling holes into the platen ends then glue and insert the bearings.

Pillow block linear bearings are too expensive and heavy and take up too much travel space for my taste so I bought the hardened rods and bearings. I think if you are using high quality linear rails two are sufficient and and a 4 post design is overkill. But you might need a sturdier thicker post on each side rather than thin aluminum square tubing.
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

Thanks for the plans ill let you know if I get any ideas.
Musinf

Post by Musinf »

I work hard at integrating cameras to platen. Cameras can move vertically with the platen on the rails. But I have a much difficulties to imagine how to place/create/imagine it... But I'm sure it can be a good idea.
Musinf

Post by Musinf »

A madly idea...
On the top (inside), mirrors with powerful lights (lights are not on the image, imagine it). On the back, glass (plexiglass) in contact with book. In recent days, I think a lot to integrate lighting and cameras directly to the platen. Everything would move vertically with the platen!
At present, the aluminum structure and the Cradel are designed. The use of linear rails strongly considered. I concentrate my latest efforts to refine the platen.
Image_34.jpg
Image_34.jpg (11 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Yet another popular Borg cubism design by some Polish welder almost a year and a half ago. Everyone has probably seen this one. Looks like it requires the traditional two linear slides. Also, looks like some kind of pulley system in there.
cube.jpg
cube.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 9897 times
more photos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59RokLc_h8s
aerios G9 2009
Musinf

Post by Musinf »

Hello friends !

I have a good news, today, I begin construction of my bookscanner. It's not so easy I have imagined. Tomorrow, I will show you some photographies.
Yesterday, I received my linear guides ! Fantastic material !

Paul.