Simple Flat cradle for Books

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ganola

Simple Flat cradle for Books

Post by ganola »

Hi guys,

I have been scanning documents with a flatbed scanner but it takes ages and the quality isn't great, so I started to think using my Digital SLR.

I do not scan a lot so I was thinking that to build "the machine" will take me too long. I was planning to scan two pages taking picture with my Slr, the issue are the curves of the pages (as usual).

I was thinking to put a glass on it with some pressure, good lighting and put pictures...

As somebody found a way to do this efficiently?

Thanks guys!
Cabe

Re: Simple Flat cradle for Books

Post by Cabe »

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... p?f=1&t=18

Page 2 has some decent shots showing a simple metal frame around a bit of glass. That the sort of thing you are after?
ganola

Post by ganola »

Yep, that was what I was looking for.

I'll give it a try and I will let you know how it works.

Thanks for sharing this know how! :idea:
ganola

Post by ganola »

I went to the shop to buy some Plexiglas, do you have any thickness to recommend?

They have 2,3 and 4 mm... :?:
kentsin

Post by kentsin »

I guess that using the design of a copy stand, replacing the wood with a acrylic, you can press the acrylic to the opened book and take a shoot.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

ganola wrote:I went to the shop to buy some Plexiglas, do you have any thickness to recommend?

They have 2,3 and 4 mm... :?:
Ganola, I'd go with 3mm.
Turtle

Post by Turtle »

Glass is more reliable. It will have a superior optical clarity throughout the years and is trusted for this type of application. The only drawback is the weight. The weight, in turn, will help weigh down the pages.