Smithsonian Institution book scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Smithsonian Institution book scanner

Post by rob »

Here's a short video of the Smithsonian Institution's book scanner in action. It has a neat platen mechanism, shown at 1:30.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
cratylus

Re: Smithsonian Institution book scanner

Post by cratylus »

Genius!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

That's an Archive.org Scribe scanner! I totally got tons of pictures of it while at the IA in Toronto. It's treadle-operated.

I borrowed the cam with the pictures on it to my friend. I'll ask him to return it and show all the details of the mechanism here... They were like "yeah! take pictures! copy it!". ;)
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

The software they show looks like they're using a similar display system to Archive.org too. Do they have a partnership going on?
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Gabe at the Archive told me that they've sold some Scribe scanners to make money -- so I'm guessing that's how they got it. It's most definitely a Scribe, I think the software is the same, too.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

this is really slick...it looks like its a race in these booths, but manually operated...I just went through 4 books of water damage and an auto-tuner would have been straight comedy to watch.

What do you guys think about a platen at this angle? I'm building my third platen and thought about a much wider angle before seeing the Smith's. this kind of re-inforces an idea, but I'm wondering about glued spines on books getting too much crease from splaying open from a wider angle.

I'd rather stand when scanning, but a foot switch is cool idea as well. But with routing trigger cable around to the back of the platen, all I need is a sturdy picture frame to tie together the panes.

...Wondering if a glass shop can create a seamless "V" center by torching or magic, and at what price...hmmm.
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Antoha-spb »

univurshul wrote:
...Wondering if a glass shop can create a seamless "V" center by torching or magic, and at what price...hmmm.
Plexiglass shop made me a platen with a perfect 90 deg. angle for just ~$20