Robo-Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

E^3

Robo-Book Scanner

Post by E^3 »

Hi everybody,

I'm E^3 from the Philippines, and have started working my "Robo-Book Scanner " as I called it.
I will enumerate my idea of doing the Automated Book Flip-flopper(Scanner):

A book drive Scanner Design:(May I ask for some suggestions)

1)V Frame design (Aluminum frame)
2) Fiber Glass
3) Stepper Motor
4) Vacuum tube (at least 12V) book sucker
5) Infra red sensor
6) long bar (fabricated as worm geared rod)
7)Microchip PICMe or any single board Computer

Just to tell slight background I could apply a Robo-Arm technology(for now
its a little bit challenge

Actually my first phase is the un automated Book Scanner
then the right OCR to tweaked (ofcourse open source) and the V format (hanlder & Frame)

Any body who had done a sort of Robo-Scanner and can share it here.

Bytheway here is my blog and I'm documenting it
http://cobecoballes-robotics.blogspot.c ... tions.html

My advance thanks and appreciations to those who could share and help.

Thanks

E^3
Philippines
univurshul

Re: Robo-Book Scanner

Post by univurshul »

Best of luck, it appears you have some fairly powerful cameras involved as well, so you should definitely take your time and develop a quality mechanism.
E^3

Post by E^3 »

Hi Sir univurshul,

Mabuhay!

I am searching here some good frame scanner made of frame aluminum or light steel.
In our country its a good options to choose these type of mechanism rather than choose wood type materials

Our Main Library before had outsourced scanning of rare books but it was very expensive, and we came into an
idea the best way is to create a book scanner.

And finding this useful forum , hoping that some body could share a best reference
especially to those who had automated their machine.

Thanks in advance

E^3
Philippines
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Look at that "black iron" scanner, though I suspect it's heavier rather than lighter, it may give you some ideas for your own design.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

E^3 wrote: I am searching here some good frame scanner made of frame aluminum or light steel.
In our country its a good options to choose these type of mechanism rather than choose wood type materials...
I use exclusively metals for my scanner builds (although I used wood as my base for the first 2).

If your mechanism will rely on a hinge with glass platens, I recommend you start with an iron/or galvanized metal that is heavy-enough to stabilize your cameras. You can find my first builds here: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=375. They are under 26 kg finished weight complete with cameras, cables, power supplies, onboard displays, etc.

In two weeks I will post my build progress on a specially developed aluminum frame 40-schedule grade scanner. I will post my progress and send you the link when I have results.

Best Regards.
E^3

Post by E^3 »

Hi SIr univurshul,

That is Great!

Well, It could be one of my references same with "Black Iron" nice..

I will wait for that big process also .

Thanks Sirs

E^3
Philippines