Terrible 'Deskew'

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

ibr4him

Terrible 'Deskew'

Post by ibr4him »

Hi,

I've found ScanTailor's "Deskew" feature to be terrible, it messes up my page angles and I have to manually (un)set angles for each pages. Is there any way to improve or well just disable deskew in ScanTailor? Its the only step that takes 50% of the time.

Many thanks!
Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Terrible 'Deskew'

Post by Tulon »

In my experience it only fails when there is a picture and no more than one or two lines of text.
If you upload a sample page, I'll take a look.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

That's where it's failed for me, typically, especially when the picture had some rectangle in perspective -- it seemed to want to make an edge of the rectangle horizontal.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Theres no image but maybe it considers stylish borders as images?
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Well, let's see a sample page, shall we?
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Sorry, here you go: http://bit.ly/dnPr40

Thanks!
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Yeah, cursive scripts without a clear baseline are a problem. It might have still worked, were there more content per page.
I guess we do need mass-apply for deskew then.
Won't happen by the next release though - maybe the one after that.
ibr4him

Post by ibr4him »

Ah okay. Can I just disable 'Deskew' then somehow, for now?
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

Unfortunately you can't. The best you can do is probably to let it run in automated mode and make its mistakes, then manually fix one page, and then do a search/replace in the project file.