how to remotely control canon powershot sd990?

Everything camera related. Includes triggers, batteries, power supplies, flatbeds and sheet-feeding scanners, too.

Moderator: peterZ

jinjin12

how to remotely control canon powershot sd990?

Post by jinjin12 »

i have a canon powershot sd990 but i could not find any shutter release switches for it online. is there a way to control it without pressing the button on the camera itself? i hear that the canon eos has eos ultility where u can use the computer to remotely take pictures. are there such programs for the canon powershot sd990 because i could not find any.
clemd973

Re: how to remotely control canon powershot sd990?

Post by clemd973 »

jinjin12 wrote:i have a canon powershot sd990 but i could not find any shutter release switches for it online. is there a way to control it without pressing the button on the camera itself? i hear that the canon eos has eos ultility where u can use the computer to remotely take pictures. are there such programs for the canon powershot sd990 because i could not find any.
Check out my post here; I've had great luck with this switch built by Frans Van de Kamp. If you have any questions, he'll be happy to respond to an email.
jinjin12

Post by jinjin12 »

clemd973 wrote:
jinjin12 wrote:i have a canon powershot sd990 but i could not find any shutter release switches for it online. is there a way to control it without pressing the button on the camera itself? i hear that the canon eos has eos ultility where u can use the computer to remotely take pictures. are there such programs for the canon powershot sd990 because i could not find any.
Check out my post here; I've had great luck with this switch built by Frans Van de Kamp. If you have any questions, he'll be happy to respond to an email.
i read the post you say it should work on any canon compact camera? are you sure, also i do not have a usb port on my camera, and i noticed you were using usb cable. this is the first time i read about cdhk also
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Both Canon and Amazon are selling USB cables for the SD990, so I'd be surprised if your camera didn't have a port for it. You probably just have to pry a piece of rubber out to see it.

As noted in that thread, with CHDK you can also use a timer script and skip the USB trigger, if you so choose.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

jinjin12 wrote:i read the post you say it should work on any canon compact camera? are you sure, also i do not have a usb port on my camera, and i noticed you were using usb cable. this is the first time i read about cdhk also
According to the SD990 User Guide, pages 2, and 26, you do have a USB port on your camera. In fact, out of the box, your camera should have come with an Interface Cable "IFC 400PCU" that connects to the mini USB port. If you bought it used and it doesn't have a cable, you can get one online for under $10. As long as you're running cdhk, the Van de Kamp switch should work. Frans should be able to give you more info on it.