Future of the book video from IDEO

DIY Book Scanner Skunk Works. Share your crazy ideas and novel approaches. Home of the "3D structure of a book" thread.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Future of the book video from IDEO

Post by daniel_reetz »

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Future of the book video from IDEO

Post by rob »

IDEO definitely has a bunch of smart folks.

True story: About ten years ago, my group at work had some creativity people come in, who had us go through creativity exercises. If you've even been in a large corporation, you know the sort of thing I'm talking about. Anyway, the introduction was a short video about IDEO. At the time, I'd never heard of IDEO. I was enamored by the open warehouse design of their offices -- one guy used a rope and pulley system to park his bike above his cube -- and by the creative process they went through. One segment was about reinventing the shopping cart. Apparently someone had the right idea, because a few years later, I started seeing small two-level shopping carts, similar to the one described in the video. I use them exclusively over the one-level large deep shopping carts. The point is, I was floored by IDEO.

Thanks to Wikipedia, I now know that the video shown was the "Deep Dive" episode of ABC's Nightline. Hooray for trivia.

Anyway, after the video was over, I turned to my boss (with whom I had a good relationship, BTW), smiled, and said, "I'm giving you my two weeks' notice." He didn't react. I figured he was either zoned out, or not entirely certain it was a joke. So I sort of laughed uncomfortably.

Now, as for the book idea. What tablet is that? I don't know of any that is black and not branded, except for the upcoming ChromeOS ones from Google. So was this an actual demo, or a 'shop?
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Future of the book video from IDEO

Post by daniel_reetz »

Oh, it's purely a 'shop.

Someday, I'm going to have a warehouse like that. SOMEDAY, ROB!