Penn Fabrication "head case" for barter: portable platform?

A place to buy and sell. Want someone to build a scanner for you? Ask here.

Moderator: peterZ

Plautus

Penn Fabrication "head case" for barter: portable platform?

Post by Plautus »

The server I'm using for image hosting is being really flaky at the moment, so I'll direct you to a flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/41615636@N ... 087575092/

As you can see, it's a big black case (wooden construction) with metal-reinforced corners, two different kinds of lockable latches, and three spring-loaded handles. It has wheels and rubber feet, and an extending handle on the other end to roll it comfortably. Also, a set of rugged skids. The whole thing is 19 1/4" x 30" x 12 3/4" on the outside. I've seen similar cases around called "head cases", but this was custom-made to ship a bookstore POS system which was trashed when the store closed. The interior has foam installed for those specialized parts, along with a wooden divider (a small amount of the foam has been torn out). I inherited two of these: this one, and a smaller one that I'm going to use for my own portable scanner project after I move in a couple weeks. I promised the wife that I won't start building or procuring parts for this thing until after the move, but getting rid of things is certainly welcome, so since I thought this might be valuable for someone else's portable project (it might be roomy enough for a near full-size setup), I thought I'd see if I could interest anyone here.

Since barter seems more in the spirit of the project than trying to sell it (and since this thing has to go pretty quickly, by the end of August), I thought I'd offer to ship it to someone in exchange for some help with acquisitions/construction. Here are some things I'd like help finding/building:

A proper foldable/detachable platen system for this thing (I'll probably want to scan some oversize books- maybe 15"x20" or something for the platen?
A pair of digital cameras
A set of HiD lamps and ballasts with help making power supplies (I've got a bunch of wall bug power supplies and a car battery charger I was musing about for this thing: I'm decent at soldering, but not so much at designing circuits, etc).
Perhaps different low-power lighting solutions
Screens?

Again, I haven't started, so let me know what you think. Also, I'd like to reiterate that I'm looking for help/supplies a few weeks in the future. I send you this thing now, and you help me a bit later. OK?
Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Penn Fabrication "head case" for barter: portable platform?

Post by daniel_reetz »

I have several cases like that, also trash-sourced. I think they are generally called "flight cases". They are nice, the only downside being that they are heavy.

As for material acquisition/stuff, there are a lot of hints around here and many of us have surplus parts. I'm sure we can get you going at a minimal cost.
Plautus

Re: Penn Fabrication "head case" for barter: portable platform?

Post by Plautus »

OK, sounds good; so anyone want me to ship this to him/her at shipping cost (UPS?)

Or maybe pick it up in Hyde Park, Chicago, before I put this thing on Craigslist?
Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly.