Book Scan Wizard

Discussion about Steve DeVore's Book Scan Wizard, a power-user package to automate scan processing.

Moderator: peterZ

steve1066d
E-book readers owned: PRS-505
Number of books owned: 1250

Book Scan Wizard beta

Post by steve1066d »

I've got a beta of Book Scan wizard.

The easiest way to download is is by using Java web start. It will complain a bit that the signature can't be verified. That is normal, so just press "Run" to start.
http://bookscanwizard.sourceforge.net/run

Or if you want to manually install it you can go here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/bookscanwizard/

Also, you'll want to check the wiki, for what little documentation there is.. Hopefully there's enough to get people started.
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/bookscanwizard

I'm looking for some input on if people can make sense of it, and if it has the features people need, and if you have any problems with it.

Steve
Steve Devore
BookScanWizard, a flexible book post-processor.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Book Scan Wizard

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm on Windows 7 right now, and although I won't have time for a decent run-through tonight, I'm playing with getting BSW running now. I'll keep my experiences updated in this post.

1. Clicked on the "run" link Steve posted above. Was immediately greeted with a prompt to install Java something.
2. Downloaded the installer (one of those small installer-installers that downloads stuff -- jxpiinstall.exe). Ran it.
3. Installer prompted me to install the Yahoo! Toolbar (obviously this is not Steve's fault, but AGH JAVA NO TOOLBARS PLZ)
4. My Internet connection sucks.
5. Install complete.
6. Clicked on Run link again.
7. Sweet, Book Scan Wizard is now downloading. Appears to be small/fast.
8. Hmm, downloader appears to be stuck. This could be related to #5.
9. Restarting installer by clicking on .JNLP file again.
10. W00t! BSW is running.

OK, now I'd like to play with it, but I don't have a bunch of book images handy on this machine. I saw this:
steve1066d wrote:I've got a sample project in /examples/basic... try loading that and see if it works.
But when I click open, it takes me to the Mozilla Firefox directory and I see no example. Halp pleze!:
Attachments
BSW.jpg
BSW.jpg (61.28 KiB) Viewed 12915 times
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

The webstart version doesn't include the examples... Download it from :

https://sourceforge.net/projects/booksc ... p/download

That is the example I'm using on the wiki:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/b ... le_project
Steve Devore
Shaknum

Post by Shaknum »

This looks really cool. Quick question. I keep getting a null pointer exception when I try to preview pages. It certainly sees the image files, but no matter which file I select, I get java.lang.NullPointerException. The files are JPG. I'm sure I'm just missing something simple. Thanks.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

Try moving the cursor to the end of the configuration text and see if that works. If that doesn't work, try moving it to the line after LoadImages.

If the "to cursor" checkbox, is checked it will stop processing at the spot where the cursor is.

If that doesn't help, do the following to send me some debugging:

Go to your windows control panel, and click on the java icon. Click on the advanced tab, java console, then click on "show console"
Next, start BSW.
Try previewing.

The console window will have a Stack trace.. which will look something like this (with a lot more lines):

Code: Select all

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at net.sourceforge.bookscanwizard.Operation.previewOperations(Operation.java:247)
        at net.sourceforge.bookscanwizard.BSW$PreviewedImage.getPreviewProcessedImage(BSW.java:810)
        at net.sourceforge.bookscanwizard.BSW.preview(BSW.java:312)
        at net.sourceforge.bookscanwizard.BSW.access$400(BSW.java:79)
        a
can you cut & paste the whole stack trace and send it to me?
Steve Devore
Shaknum

Post by Shaknum »

steve1066d wrote:Try moving the cursor to the end of the configuration text and see if that works. If that doesn't work, try moving it to the line after LoadImages.

If the "to cursor" checkbox, is checked it will stop processing at the spot where the cursor is.
Thanks, that got me further. I'll play around with it for a bit, thanks for such a quick and accurate response.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Steve,

got the webstart version up and running, but I'm confused by the terminology. I'm asked to provide a working directory, a source directory, and a destination directory. I assume that the source directory is where my photos are (ie., the jpgs produced when I shot the book), and the destination directory is where I want BSW to output processed images. So what is the working directory?

thanks.
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

The working directory is the directory where you want to save the configuration file. The other paths are relative from the working directory.

Assuming you are using Windows, if you have a working directory of :
c:\bookscans\book1

and a Source directory of images

it will look for the images in c:\bookscans\images

That way if you are consistent and keep all your images layed out in the same way, you don't have to change the locations in the configuration file from book to book.

It is also possible to ignore the working directory if you want to use absolute paths.. So if you use as a source path c:\bookscans\images it will look in that place no matter what the working directory is set to.
Steve Devore
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Thanks Steve,

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but is there somewhere one can go to look up the various commands that are used (ie., to crop, to adjust contrast, etc.), and their syntax?

Thanks,
Jon
steve1066d

Post by steve1066d »

No problem,

If one person has issues, chances are there are others that are running into the same things.

Take a look under Help, Show Command Helper.

Also one tip when you are in there, if there's a command you want to include, double-click the row in the table and it will be inserted into your configuration.

I think there should be enough in there to get you going, but if you need clarification, feel free to keep posting :)
Steve Devore