Off-the-Shelf Simplicity

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

fatchuck

Off-the-Shelf Simplicity

Post by fatchuck »

Hello,

As a future digital archivist, current volunteer, and not-skilled-AT-ALL with making things by hand... is there a simple collection of off-the-shelf items I can use to create a low-cost digitization stand?

I have (1) 16 megapixel Panasonic GH2 with a professional 14mm-140mm lens, a 7-foot tripod, and wired remote control. A second GH2 - for $1400 - is out of the question, so this will be a one-camera setup. I also have Photoshop CS5 and Scantailor to output single images to multiple images/PDFs with OCR (where applicable).

However, I'm lost on these:

A simple material stand (like a flat foam board of up to 18" x 12") to digitize old photos, books, pamphlets, school records, and much more on it. A non-flat surface isn't an option.

To evenly illuminate the material, are there screw-in-to-a-lamp LED lights that are recommended for use? Should I use 2 or 4 for an 18x12 canvas?

A platen. Should I use glass, plexiglass, or something else to hold down books and curved images on the stand? Are there "clips" that I can use to hold the platen in the down and up positions?

Sorry for my cluelessness. Electronic schematics and serious hardware creation skills are both way over my head.

Thank you for any help,
Chuck
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Off-the-Shelf Simplicity

Post by Antoha-spb »

I would suggest you to browse through the scanners gallery of our community, where you can find very simple and effective setups.

A second GH2 - for $1400 - is out of the question, so this will be a one-camera setup.

for some $200-$300 you can have two units of Canon A590 and save your Panasonic only for extra-high quality scans.

A simple material stand (like a flat foam board of up to 18" x 12") to digitize old photos, books, pamphlets, school records, and much more on it. A non-flat surface isn't an option.

Books are mostly scanned in a V-shaped cradle that you can make of used cardboard (see 'dumpster diving' ;) ) or any flat plastic material available at a home&hobby supermarket. Mine is made of plexiglass and costed me some $25 or so. Photos can be scanned on just any flat surface but you should ensure that this surface is parallel to the surface of the camera's CCD/CMOS sensor and lens f-number (zoom) is set on the value that gives minimal barrel distorsions to the picture.

To evenly illuminate the material, are there screw-in-to-a-lamp LED lights that are recommended for use?

I am using four halogen lights on one scanner and two fluoriscent lamps on the second. The latter are better as they are same-long as the platen (less dark and white areas), don't overheat and don't emit UV.

A platen. Should I use glass, plexiglass, or something else to hold down books and curved images on the stand?

Plexiglass is good and cheap

Are there "clips" that I can use to hold the platen in the down and up positions?

Maybe door/drawer magnets?

BR,
A.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Check out this approach by Misty De Meo (more) to see a basic one-camera setup. WestonWyse has another: http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=242 . I made a list of all the "simple" builds like this, but can't find it at the moment.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Found it. Check out the "Easy to build scanners list" for some other ideas.
fatchuck

Post by fatchuck »

Antoha and Daniel,

Thank you very much for your help! Believe it or not, outside of Misty's setup, I'd been scouring the book scanner designs for something I could build with my meager skill set and had failed to find one.

Again, thank you for your help!

Chuck

P.S. Daniel, may I recommend making your simple builds link into a permanent board sticky? It will help the build-challenged like me a lot.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

That's a good idea - I think I'll refine it a bit and make a sticky post about it.

I'm really looking forward to see what you will come up with - there's a definite need/desire here for simple designs like the one you're looking for. Happy to provide the links - I know digging around the forums can be pretty rough.
fatchuck

Post by fatchuck »

Good news - a friend's dad is a carpenter and he's agreed to help me build a simple SLR book scanner.

That said...I really like the simplicity of Misty's book scanner setup at http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=275.

However, I'd like to attach a platen to it. A) If presentation board isn't sturdy enough to support a metal clamp with platen, would plywood or MDF do the trick? And B) From reading here, I take it a 120 degree V-shape is preferable to a 90 degree V-shape?