Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

A place to introduce yourself, and to meet other awesome people.

Moderator: peterZ

JoukoSalonen

Getting ready - tomorrow I'll start! (The Hello Thread)

Post by JoukoSalonen »

Hi
This may be the first DIY book scanner built in Helsinki Finland. If not, I really would be happy to get in touch if someone is working with book scanning around here.
I am now reading Clemd973's new standard scanner instructions, compiling the shopping list, converting inches to centimeters, printing the new standard scanner instructions, etc. Tomorrow will be the shopping day and perhaps the day to build the base.
br. Jouko
P.S. Done shopping. Found everything for the first sprint.
P.S.S Just continuing this monologue with a follow up: Now July 12th, after several enjoyable building sessions, the first working prototype of the book scanner itself is ready, the cameras (Canon a710s) and CHKD work and I have scanned the first book. The "hardware" and "firmware" part clearly needs improvements but it works. However, I expect that designing and building the cloud architecture that scales and serves the needs of the business model and then fine tuning the post-processing process will take several weeks. When I started this project my plan was to launch the first commercial service in September. It seems I am a little bit late.
Last edited by JoukoSalonen on 13 Jul 2011, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
stevede
E-book readers owned: IBM x-41 tablet
Number of books owned: 200

Re: Post something about yourself here (The Hello Thread)

Post by stevede »

Greetings from the Great White North. I'm a Podiatrist in the interior of British Columbia, Canada so naturally I need a book scanner for all my foot notes. I assembled my scanner as part of my “found materials” philosophy, which is to say: There must be SOME reason for all that junk in my garage. My secret weapon turned out to be.......(see me in the hardware section.)

A little praise: What a stellar project. DIY Book Scanner has everything a good obsession needs; hardware, software, cameras and book conservation. I have been constantly amazed by Dan and all of the regulars who show great generosity, courtesy and patience in this Class Act.

Both my parents were librarians. I think they would have gotten a real kick out of this.
lorenzodow

Post by lorenzodow »

Comparative Literature Grad student in California. Thanks for the great tools. After spending a couple of hours scanning a book this week, I did some searching for an alternative. I'm really glad this site exists and that you have such great tools and instructions. Viva la DIY revolution!

btw, I did my first "scan" last night with a tripod and a dslr, and the software you linked works great. Now to get myself a piece of glass and choose a construction for something a little more permanent...
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I'm really excited to see all the new members - welcome! It's great to have you hear and especially to hear about your projects.

Just an FYI to everyone, I'm going to continue my regular presence here ASAP - have been traveling and working on projects in remote places for a while now, internet access has not always been easy to get. I have a few exciting announcements to make in the next months, as well. Cheers to everyone.
kolepard

Post by kolepard »

Hello

My name is Kevin, and I've lurked here for a while. Like many, I have more books than space, and am loathe to cut off the bindings and run them through my ScanSnap, but I would love to have them digitized, OCRd, and easily available in a digital format. I recently built a Think-o-Matic, and after participating in the MakerSlide project on Kickstarter, I'm very interested in incorporating some of the linear bearing slides from that into a book scanner. So between work and family, I'm doing my homework reading posts here, planning, and keeping a parts list.

I know Daniel and likely some others are considering using MakerSlide in some book scanners so I hope to see his/their ideas here too.

Kevin
JS2

Post by JS2 »

Hi! Another Finn here from the capital area. I am 20-year-old student from Helsinki, nice to meet you all! I'm still in the planning-stage of building a scanner, I've thought of possibly making a tutorial in Finnish once I get my scanner done :)
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

It would be pretty excellent to have more tutorials in other languages. Welcome!
Eppi

Post by Eppi »

Hello, bonjour, and .... err...hello!

I first stumbled upon this site via Instructibles some weeks back and have been hooked ever since. I'm a 40yo Australian with a science background (chemistry) , however at the moment I work in a second-hand goods store which raises funds for the intellectually disabled.

After much reading and scrolling, and more reading through this forum, my first build is finally underway. Hooray!!!!

Looking forward to being part of this inspiring community and hopefully even making a small contribution or two :D

Eppi
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Looking forward to your build thread, Eppi! I'm not sure if we've had a build from Australia, yet.
Anthony
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Anthony »

Hi Everyone,
I can't wait to start on my own book scanner. Looks like I'll have to be doing a bit of reading to figure out which build would be best for me. If anyone is from Toronto, ON Canada, and has built one, I'd like to have a chat sometime, maybe an in person rundown. I think University of Toronto has one if anyone from there checks this forum.

I'm mainly scanning my own books (mostly mainstream medical and alternative medicine books). If the it goes well I'll try a setup at my school so they can have electronic copies of their rare books.