Scan Tailor - need output centered on page

Scan Tailor specific announcements, releases, workflows, tips, etc. NO FEATURE REQUESTS IN THIS FORUM, please.

Moderator: peterZ

Rhea27

Scan Tailor - need output centered on page

Post by Rhea27 »

Can someone steer me in the right direction? I'm manually selecting the content for each scanned page (of old scrapbooks) that I'm processing in Scan Tailor...the size of the selected content varies by page. I need the selected content (for whatever size) to always be in the horizontal and vertical center on each of the output pages. Is there a step in ST I'm missing? Thanks!
spamsickle

Re: Scan Tailor - need output centered on page

Post by spamsickle »

You specify the margins in the step before the output. There are 9 choices; just pick the one in the center, and "apply to all".
Rhea27

Post by Rhea27 »

O.K. I feel silly not being able to figure that one out on my own... Thanks spamsickle!
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

I suspect everybody suffers from situational blindness from time to time. I certainly do. Glad I could help.
Rhea27

Post by Rhea27 »

Hi! I don't know if this is something I need to do differently in Scan Tailor or maybe it's with my cameras... You guys are always so helpful. Hopefully I will be able to attach the pdf to show you the problem. It's the output in pdf of my recent scan of an old photo album I'm trying to preserve. Everything looks good to me now except the slight size difference between the left and right camera photos. Does this have to do with dpi or with the zoom of my cameras? I have two cameras...loaded SDM but haven't figured out how to make the switch connection, so I just do a lot of walking back and forth to take the photos. It's the hardest thing to get the image sizes matching... I'm also wondering if there's a way to just enlarge the smaller sized photos so that I don't have to redo the scan to get it right. ? Many thanks!
Ernie & Elizabeth - Wedding.pdf
(1.06 MiB) Downloaded 415 times
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

Scan Tailor doesn't currently allow you to specify a different input DPI for left and right images, which would probably be the way to handle it in that application.

I make sure my lefts and rights are the same size in the camera. CHDK lets me display the zoom level as a number, so all I have to do is make sure the zoom level is the same for both cameras, and then use a tape measure to make sure both cameras are the same distance from the page.

For pictures you've already shot, any image editing program with a batch capability should enable you to enlarge the lefts or shrink the rights to make them match. I'd use Photoshop, ImageMagick, or Book Scan Wizard for this.
Rhea27

Post by Rhea27 »

Wow - you're fast! Thanks. I saw "STEREO Zoom":47 for each of my cameras, and I thought that would put them at the same zoom. I have difficulty determining if images are the right size and at the best angle because the camera display is so small and has all those settings in the way of my view. I wish I had each of my cameras connected to some sort of larger screen so I could do a better job of getting everything laid out evenly. Because I had already done this same book a few times...I used the dpi calc that I had used before rather than calculating again. I should have calculated it again. Tulon had previously told me I could use the "fix dpi" to enter diferent dpi for odd and even pages...and seems like I have done this before... I never thought about the tape measure before - sounds like a good idea, so now if I can get the camera angles to match.

Thanks for the tips!
spamsickle

Post by spamsickle »

I haven't used SDM, but maybe that's what's showing your stereo zoom level. I think that would be the same thing I'm seeing under CHDK, and it would be important to have the zoom level match for stereo photos. With our setup, it's also important to make sure the distances match, something that I guess is done automatically in the typical SDM mount.

I've gone back to Scan Tailor to see how one might specify different DPI for right and left. Even with Fix DPI, it seems like the only way to do it through the GUI is to fix one image at a time. I don't see any way to specify all right or all left images if they're being processed together. If you were processing the left and right in separate batches, it would be trivial, and that might work for your photo albums. It's possible that I'm missing something, so if Tulon's advice was in a public post here, and you can link to it, I'd be interested in taking a look.
Rhea27

Post by Rhea27 »

In fixing dpi, I have to input the dpi for each page individually...it's a pain, but the photo albums and scrapbooks I'm scanning are not as many pages as a standard book. http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... =921#p9563. When I first started scanning, I processed the left camera photos separate from the right, but I found that it works best for me to re-number and combine the photos and then process. I haven't been able to try Book Scan Wizzard yet. Every time I try, I run into messages that it can't load, etc. I need to spend the time to figure it out and see which works best for me.