A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jck57

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by jck57 »

To bolt on a 3/4" PVC pipe handle, drill a hole in the center of a PVC cap and then glue the cap to the pipe.
thinkJason
E-book readers owned: iPad
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by thinkJason »

dbmoura wrote:Based on the work of Daniel I've documented this model in 3D using Sketchup 7. I know the earlier version is 8, but for this work is perfect to work in both versions.
I signed the files with the same Creative Commons from the first files of this post and upgraded the version as "DIY Book Scanner 0.9.2"
I am now ready to build my sample that I'll post pictures here, as soon as it is in process.
As you can see I didn't documented the trigger yet. If someone wants to share or modify this files, I would enjoy it.
diybookscanner1.zip
diybookscanner2.zip
diybookscanner3.zip
diybookscanner4.zip
Excellent work on this model! I'm finding this incredibly useful in my build, and I greatly appreciate your efforts! I did find a small issue on the main model, and I don't have the modeling skills to fix it:

The three screws linking the lift arms to the handle are in the wrong orientation to attach the wood together. If they were flipped, they'd be perfect!

I'll be using this model extensively when progressing through my build thread. Your model eliminates a bunch of guesswork. Thanks again!
goyoba
Number of books owned: 100

Post by goyoba »

1. Any news on a parts list? see this list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... YMGc#gid=0 Has this list been corrected?

2. Does the "latest artwork" files contain the corrected drawings which are discussed here?

3. What was the final decision on the glass-fitting parts? I know there has been some drama getting them exactly perfect, especially for those of us who want the spiral-bound scanning ability.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

The modifications should be done within the next week or so. At that time I'll post the new files, which will include DXFs. I will also have the final cleaned-up hardware list.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

goyoba wrote:1. Any news on a parts list? see this list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... YMGc#gid=0 Has this list been corrected?

I really appreciate the enthusiasm, and I'm glad you're having a scanner cut, but you've asked the shopping list question three times in your total three posts. Have you had a chance to look at the list itself? My comments and corrections are already written in the list, I prefaced them with "DR:". Other people have comments there, as well. Reading them should tell you what you need to know.

Rob and I are working on a release for this week or the week after this If you (or anybody else) need answers sooner than that I personally cannot help you, though others here possibly can. Everyone has limited time and energy and the more we can split the load of this kind of thing, the more smoothly and efficiently things will go. Your feedback on the list, after you purchase whatever you choose to purchase, is something you can contribute here.
rob

Post by rob »

The next version of the scanner, 0.9.9, will become available tomorrow night, Feb 11, 2012 (Eastern Time Zone, GMT-0500). I'm finishing up with testing the construction, found a few errors in the files, so I'll be spending Saturday correcting those errors and cutting the corrected parts out. Once everything is fitted and tests out good, I'll be publishing an updated zip file at the beginning of the thread which will contain AI, DXF, and JPG files for 4' x 4' sheets.

I'd like to thank everyone who worked with the previous version of the scanner for their feedback, especially thinkJason. Your feedback has been very valuable for coming up with this next improved version!

Also, I'd like to thank everyone for their patience while we finalize this next version. We all have day jobs :|

The improvements over the previous version are:
  • Glass mounting no longer uses a groove, but rather L-brackets.
  • A small hook is built in to the trigger mounts for easier use of rubber bands or springs (although mini bungee cords are recommended).
  • The holes in the trigger are increased to accomodate a 5/16" bolt rather than a 1/4" bolt.
  • All holes that are to accomodate a 5/16" bolt are increased to that size.
  • Some holes are now slightly smaller than 5/16" where the 5/16" bolt must have a tight fit without a nut. These sites are on the handle, and where the pulleys mount.
  • Wooden pulleys are now included.
  • A back brace is now included. This will make it easy to move the scanner around.
  • Recommendation when cutting the parts to go over the bearing pockets twice is now included (makes installing the bearings easier).
  • Both LED and halogen light plates and supports are included, although use of an LED light is recommended. The scanner will not work in paperback mode if you use halogen lighting -- at least, not without removing the light plate and figuring out some other method of lighting the platen.
  • Use of a single-cable bicycle brake lever is now deprecated. The wooden parts to accomodate a single-cable lever will still be included, but their use is not recommended, since they will be eliminated shortly. Use of a dual-cable bicycle brake lever, unless there is great opposition, will now be mandatory.
  • Full hardware list will be included. This assumes the use of a dual bicycle brake lever.
As you can see by the version number on this one, this version is perhaps a very minor improvement away from an official 1.0 version that can be sold as a full kit. What that minor improvement is, I can't say at this point, since that will require working with the 0.9.9 version to find out its shortcomings, if any.

I am currently working on an instruction manual for putting together the scanner. It will probably take me about two weeks to finish, so don't expect instructions until maybe Feb 27. As always, your instruction manual for putting together the scanner right now is the forums.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob

Post by rob »

The beginning of this thread has been updated with the v0.9.9 scanner.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

jck57 wrote:To bolt on a 3/4" PVC pipe handle, drill a hole in the center of a PVC cap and then glue the cap to the pipe.
This above description could be clearer. You drill the cap, glue the cap to the pipe and then bolt the assembly to the plywood with the cap against the plywood. I would use a carriage bolt because the square shank will bite into the plastic. This will not only ease assembly but will help prevent the handle from rotating in use.
Moonboy242
E-book readers owned: iPad, Netbook

Post by Moonboy242 »

Thank you, all of you, for your work on this project. I'm certain that I'm not alone in my appreciation and understanding that buttloads of free unpaid effort went into bringing this to the community.

I have a question regarding the scanner dimensions. Hypothetically, if i wanted to increase the size of books that this build can work with, which parts would I need to enlarge in the build plans? The obvious would be the cradle(s) and the lateral supports running from front to back in the unit. Would there be additional parts needing lengthening?

My gut instinct here is that the entire build requires some very specific tolerances that may not support modification. Just kinda wondering. ;)
iPad: Over it. Android FTW.
thinkJason
E-book readers owned: iPad

Post by thinkJason »

Regarding the halogen lighting:

Since the wood frame for the lights has a recessed lip to hold each of the two 5.5" light shrouds, wouldn't it be possible to throw a makeshift bracket on there to latch the light fixtures into place? It would probably still be too tall to work in paperback mode, but it's a thought. I'll snap a picture with the idea later to explain.