ST suggestions and feature requests go here.

Don't know where to start, or stuck on a certain problem? Drop by and tell us about it. Feel like helping others? Start here.

Moderator: peterZ

Tulon
Number of books owned: 0

Re: ST suggestions and feature requests go here.

Post by Tulon »

Scan Tailor never used more than one core for processing tasks. It does use additional threads and therefore additional cores for auxiliary tasks, like loading thumbnails.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
Caleb

Post by Caleb »

I dunno if this has been mentioned before, but I'd like to have the ability to set default margin sizes for all new projects instead of having to change it every time.
dtic

Post by dtic »

Background: I tried capturing a book placed on a table and a camera with remote trigger above it (no tray, platen and so on). Works well enough. But I run into selection issues. "Auto" selects too much (book edges, fingers and the table). "Manual" avoids that but since there's no tray the book moves and the text appears at different positions in the images so when doing batch selection based on "manual" many selections are off target.

Here's the idea: a two step process. First the user makes a manual selection rectangle, based on some representative page in the book. Then "auto" looks for the best position on each image to place that rectangle (looking for the largest area of recognized text lines that it can fit inside the rectangle).

I have no hunch regarding how hard something like that would be to implement so sorry in advance if I'm considering something that's plainly undoable here.

edit: just to expand a little, imagine that "auto" selects a block of lines of text but then a smudge an inch out in the margin triggers ST to expand the selection box to the left. Here the suggested mode would force ST to choose between the smudge and the righthand side of the block of lines. The assumption was that there in such a case would be some programmatic way to get ST to make the right choice.
JonEP

Post by JonEP »

Manual, fixed split line?

In the split pages stage, it is great to have a manual setting for the type of split. It would be great to be able to assign a fixed position for the split line, to apply to all pages, every page after this, etc. I do some work with images from a scanner, and sometimes the scan is good enough that ST has a hard time determining where the split should go (ie., the center of the spine of the book). I'd love to be able to set a split line to apply to every image.

Thanks for listening.
emdiesse

Post by emdiesse »

First off, Great program. I'm looking forward to the dewarping functionality I saw on vimeo :)

Suggestion: Greenscreen for content selection

When I use scan tailor I typically scan books placed on a board that is of a different colour to the pages themselves, when Scan Tailor searches for content on the book could it be made to recognise the edges of the pages and then perhaps by supplying a configurable margin Scan Tailor could automatically place a content box to surround the page (from the configured margin)?

This could be used as an alternative option to the default way of recognising page content?
snaguy
E-book readers owned: iPad

Post by snaguy »

Hello,

To start off I would like to say I love your work Tulon and have a deep admiration for what you have achieved.

Now for the feature request!

Added control for manual select content. Like with the margin control options (left right top bottom) with the same apply to options as with fix orientation.

or

A separate crop feature with the options mentioned above.

Having the ability to remove the unnecessary parts from the image will assist with the auto select content and deskew processes.

This will allow for faster processing with less manual intervention.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

I have a similar, maybe repeated, suggestion:

Adding a button for "apply to all pages" for a manual SPLIT LINE. Or adding a tickbox saying "enforce split line to remain at center of page".

Thanks. I really appreciate your hard work, Tulon.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

Another suggestion: How about a simple selection tool for manually remove some specks, etc...
Tulon

Post by Tulon »

eL_PuSHeR wrote:How about a simple selection tool for manually remove some specks, etc...
You can use fill zones for this purpose.
Scan Tailor experimental doesn't output 96 DPI images. It's just what your software shows when DPI information is missing. Usually what you get is input DPI times the resolution enhancement factor.
eL_PuSHeR

Post by eL_PuSHeR »

I may try that, but does it work with colour/grayscale mode or do I need to use Mixed mode?